Can you use Selenium/E Gel along with mineral supplements?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by firelight27, Oct 25, 2010.

1. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I just got a doe who I believe is selenium deficient. I have another topic up about her. But this question is more specific. She has very weak rear legs and her kid this year died of white muscle disease. So, she is very deficient as far as I can tell.

I offer minerals with selenium to my goats. She was just given a BoSe injection last week sometime, before I picked her up. How long should I wait before giving her another BoSe injection in her deficient state? I obviously don't want to kill her by over-dosing. What is the dosage? I have never given BoSe because my own goats do fine with mineral supplementation.

If I go with the gel instead, is it safe to give while she is eating free choice minerals (with selenium)? The gel says that it should be the only source of selenium in the goat's diet. I don't want to take the minerals away because they not only provide selenium, but all of the other things she needs. If I give the gel while she is on the minerals, will she OD and become toxic? I am also going to start giving her Vit A/E/D/B12 gel once a month. Can she OD on Vit. E if she is getting it in her minerals, the selenium gel AND the vitamin gel?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Can you use Selenium/E Gel along with mineral supplement

BoSe dose is 1cc per 40lbs

I would put her on a good loose mineral for goats and then see how she is in a couple months. Deficiency isnt resolved in just one treatment.

I have used the gel along with minerals but only as a simple boost and not a monthly thing.

3. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon

Well, the gel is advertised as being a monthly thing, without any other selenium supplementation in the diet. I don't want to give it monthly, because they are on a loose mineral with selenium. I just wanted to give it as a boost, as you said, but worried about toxicity due to the fact she is already on a supplement and the warning on the label. I'd like to use it in place of the BoSe dose if possible.

Someone mentioned that she could use another BoSe shot even though she had one just last week since she is so deficient and it wouldn't hurt her. I would rather wait a few weeks since she just got a shot, but I know that some people give two BoSe shots three weeks apart in the last month of pregnancy...so I imagine a three week gap in BoSe shots (or a dosage of the gel) should be safe. Just making double sure before I decide to give her an additional boost.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I personally would wait -- but thats up to you

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I have to agree with Stacey.... as she said... it is up to you... :thumb: