Cannot open her eye. Maybe pink eye

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Hasankhurshid29, Oct 4, 2020.

1. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

My buck had that blue/opaque sheen that she has over left eye. It disappeared over time.
    I am glad you got her help!!
    :great:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  3. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Are you still treating that eye? How is it? Watch the other eye just in case it gets it.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. Hasankhurshid29

Hasankhurshid29 Member

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    Sorry I wasn't able to update here as my phone is dead from a week now. The eye is not getting any better. The membrane is not getting dissolved. Will call vet.

@Goats Rock The other eye is ok. Hope it doesn't catch it

MadHouse likes this.
  6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh no, I hope things will be OK.

Let us know what the vet says.

MadHouse likes this.
  7. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

What has the vet said?

MadHouse likes this.
  8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  9. Hasankhurshid29

Hasankhurshid29 Member

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    Sorry I couldn't respond promptly as my phone is still bad. 2 days ago took her to the vet and he gives 3 shots of some antibiotic I think. Overall eye is opening fully and it doesn't look cloudy as it was looking previously. But if I look closely, it does have a light covering. Also no discharge from eye.

10. MadHouse

For my buck it took 18 days from start of treatment until the last of the cloudiness was gone. Hopefully your doe’s cloudy covering will disappear too!

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad a vet seen her, sounds like she is heading in the right direction.
    It does take time.

MadHouse likes this.
  12. Hasankhurshid29

Hasankhurshid29 Member

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    Thanks
    I have question irrelevant to this thread. I should make a new thread but I am asking it here. The same doe is not eating anything after morning. In morning I give her whole wheat without soaking it in water. This may have disrupted her stomach. Now her stomach looks like she is bloat. And she is sitting down most of the time. Almost 12 hours has passed since morning. When I push her stomach, its not too much hard but I can hear noise of water. In evening I took her for walk. I think its not severe bloating because left side is not too hard but its pointing out. Will goat clear it herself?
    @MadHouse

13. MadHouse

I am not an expert on bloat issues, but I will tag a few people to help.

14. Hasankhurshid29

Hasankhurshid29 Member

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    Thanks

15. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I would start with probiotics and a shot of B Complex. Has the goat peed or pooped?

MadHouse likes this.
  16. Hasankhurshid29

Hasankhurshid29 Member

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    She does peed but pooped too but not much. Also she does stand up when I came close and push her. Also I don't have mineral oil so I have given some cooking oil (maybe its also called vegetable oil). I am letting her drink water.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Did you get a temp on her?

If she isn't tight as a drum and not acting in duress, she isn't in jeopardy.

For mild bloat:
    2 gas X.
    Give baking soda/water drench it.

Put her front hooves up on a 12 inch step, massage/knead her left side, rub her neck, on each side of her juggler area, using your thumb and index finger, from under her chin, down to her chest, after you get some burps, walk, repeat until you get quite a few good burps and a smaller belly out of her.

She may just have a full rumen too, if her tummy is soft when you push on it.
    If her stomach is down by morning, she is OK and that is normal for a goats rumen/stomach to be bigger by the end of the day after eating all day.

Fortified vit B complex, 6 cc's per 100 lbs SQ and probiotics for 3 days or more.

18. Hasankhurshid29

Hasankhurshid29 Member

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    Thanks
    Her temp looks normal. She doesn't chewing her cuds from morning and now it is 10 PM here. She has only eaten 0.5 kg whole wheat in morning which was not soaked in water which may have caused this problem. Her tummy is not soft but not as hard as a rock. We don't have Gas X here. Is it urgent to give baking soda/water? Can I give it in morning if condition is not improved?

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Do you hear rumen sounds and feel movement left side?

Stealing cud from another goat helps, when you give it to the ill goat if the rumen isn't working properly.
    No grain while bloated.

If she is truly bloated and in duress, she needs treatment right away.
    It cannot wait.

Baking soda will help bloating.

What do you have on hand or can get immediately for bloating?

20. Hasankhurshid29

Hasankhurshid29 Member

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    I have already given her around 4 table spoon of vegetable oil. I also have olive oil in hand. I don't hear any rumen sound or couldn't see any movement. But my previous experience is if the bloat is too much, the goat will stand in discomfort and will not sit. But she is sitting mostly. Also I have baking soda but couldn't drench at night because no one is here to help me. I can give her olive oil if its better than vegetable oil.

toth boer goats likes this.