Cannot open her eye. Maybe pink eye

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Hasankhurshid29, Oct 4, 2020.

1. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    If she'll take the oil, won't she take the baking soda mixed in water? I have often just offered baking soda in a small bowl and most of the time the goats will eat it right out of the bowl. Keep her moving around too that will help. She's a beautiful doe, I love her ears I truly hope she get to be feeling better soon.

My guess is that the antibiotics killed the good bacteria in her rumen and that's giving her the stomach ache. Can you give her probiotics or even flat dark beer? Dark beer is a great jumpstart for a sluggish rumen. Make sure it's mostly flat ( very few bubbles) and room temperature.

Keep us posted please

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  2. Hasankhurshid29

Hasankhurshid29 Member

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    @toth boer goats

I have just read your reply as I went to check on her. Without reading your reply I tried give her baking soda by putting it on my palm. And she just lick it. Also give some olive oil this time. After that she peed and release some gas and also pooped a little. She doesn't look uncomfortable. I observed her for some time.
    Also thanks for the appreciation
    I also took some pic of her belly and her eye. Eye looks lot better

20201030_004502.jpg

20201030_004115.jpg
    This pic was taken after she peed and pooped.

3. Hasankhurshid29

Hasankhurshid29 Member

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    We don't have beers in our country. Also don't know what probiotics are called here? I personally know what are these. But for goats i think will be different.

4. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    She looks much better! I'm glad she took the baking soda.

MadHouse and Hasankhurshid29 like this.
  5. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I'll bet you have yogurt, that can also work in a pinch. You can use probiotics for cows on goats if that helps. Just a thought.

6. Hasankhurshid29

Hasankhurshid29 Member

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    Yes we have yogurt. What should I feed her tomorrow because grains should be avoided. Here we have got cotton plant which is common here for feeding goats in these months. As Sesbania crop season is over. lucrene crop (maybe called alfalfa) will start after few weeks. So not much choice in feed

MadHouse likes this.
  7. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I would give her whichever hay she's used to and fresh leaves and browse that she would normally eat until you see she's chewing her cud and acting normal again. The only hay I know is alfalfa, the other two I don't believe we have here in the States so I can't really give you an informed opinion, sorry. I really believe that just going with what you know works for her is best.

8. Hasankhurshid29

Hasankhurshid29 Member

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    Do you have alfalfa all year and in every state?

9. Hasankhurshid29

Hasankhurshid29 Member

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    We don't have hay here currently. And we never give hay to our goats in any season.

10. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Pretty much, here in Texas if it's not growing it's trucked in to feed stores. We can also buy local most of the year though.

11. Hasankhurshid29

Hasankhurshid29 Member

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    Wheat crop plant in rippened form (yellow colour) is available whole year

toth boer goats likes this.
  12. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Oh, alfalfa is considered hay here. Then whichever grasses or plants they normally eat then would work.

13. Hasankhurshid29

Hasankhurshid29 Member

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    Hay means dried yellow feed. So you people don't feed any green plants?

14. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Yes, we feed fresh green leaves, grasses and branches too. I think it's that our different climates and languages are confusing things. "Hay" here is a generic term basically. Maybe this will help explain things better...
    Here's a picture of two different "hays" the green is a bale of alfalfa and the brownish is a bale of Sudan. So you can see what I mean. My goats enjoy both.

Attached Files:

15. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I am so glad she seems to be doing better, and that you got some awesome help! Hoping for continued improvement for your doe!

16. MadHouse

And I agree, she is beautiful!

Hasankhurshid29 likes this.
  17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She is a very nice looking doe. :)
    She looks good to me there.

What you fed her prior to the bloating issue, try not to feed her that.
    Unless she is very slowly introduced to it, a small amount, so her body can adjust. That is if you want to feed it to her.

With any feed, try to slowly introduce it. Do know, some goats can over eat on a feed they already have been use to, which can interfere with her rumen balance.

MadHouse likes this.
  18. Hasankhurshid29

Hasankhurshid29 Member

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    They are used to eat whole wheat but 99% we give them after soaking it in water for few hours. That day she was given dry whole wheat. Now she is again good, eating wheat again.

GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  19. Hasankhurshid29

Hasankhurshid29 Member

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    One more problem started from 2 days. Her eye is geting cloudy again and some discharge is also coming. Maybe I need to call the vet again. Why does this pink eye is not getting over?

@toth boer goats

20. MadHouse

When I did research for my buck with pinkeye, I read to give them a cod liver oil capsule daily, and/or other food high in vitamin A, like carrots.
    You might want want to give garlic and vitamin B complex, of you have that, for her immune system.
    I am sorry it came back! Good luck!

GoofyGoat likes this.