The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we get home after a two day vacation to find one of our horses gone, just gone. We couldn't find her anywhere, we looked all over for at least a half hour. So, we call the lady who was supposed to look after our animals, no answer. We call the woman she works for(the lady who gave us the horse), she stole her! Just took her while we were gone! Didn't call, nothing. She said that she was looking "bad", that she was underweight and looked terrible. Um no. When she first got to our house, her ribs were showing(not bad, she wasn't underweight, she just wasn't fat). She has gotten more exercise lately though so we doubled her super expensive feed. She had actually gained weight if anything! So after she figured out that excuse wouldn't work, she said she didn't have fresh water. Um, yes she did. We have an automatic filling tub that both the goats and horses have very easy access to. Then she went on to say it wasn't clean. It grows algae like crazy! I drain the thing every other day(even every day sometimes), scrub it down at least once a week, and it still turns nasty in a couple days. Imagine how bad it would have been after a few days of doing nothing to it. We even told her this before we got the horse, and told her that I clean it all the time, and she was perfectly happy with it.

It boils down to her wanting the horse back, and trying to save face by making us look bad. I was planning on using this horse for my equestrian team events. And whats funny? The whole team basically knows this horse! They all love her. They were so shocked that the owner would sell her, especially to someone she just met. Apparently, the horse was promised to my equestrian team coach years ago, but one of the members of the team had a falling out with the owner, so I guess that was meant to be a big slap in the face to the whole team.

She even tried to use me as her little "pet" to get back at the team or something. She offered several times(without us ever mentioning needing a trailer) for us to use her trailer whenever we needed. So I had a practice last weekend at 5, and we called her up to see if we can use her trailer. She said sure! I'll be there to, quote, "Pick her up at 5:15". Uh, wha? I need the trailer early because my horse is afraid to be loaded, and she's picking me up? She invited herself to go! How rude would it be to show up with someone who wasn't invited, especially someone who we knew had some kind of drama with the team? We got out of it due to the "loading problems" excuse. Luckily a very nice family on the team offered to let me use one of their horses to practice on, and I had a good time.

Sad thing is, we hadn't yet payed her for the horse. We were going to pay her half today. She wanted to give a month trial to see how the horse would get along here. In the beginning, she even offered to give it to us for free! Then a few days later she started saying how she would have to write a bill of sale for 400$. We were fine with that, it was a good horse, and we were willing to do that. She told us she wanted to wait until she wrote a bill of sale for us to pay her. We had it all set and done that we would pay have today, then the rest a few weeks later. So, since we hadn't payed for the horse yet, my parents don't want to bother the police(we live in a very small town, the last thing we need is to be involved with the 4 police officers we have), with a he said she said thing.

It really sucks because this was a completely dead broke, awesome sweet horse. The only problem I had with her was how aggressive and dominant she was with my original mare, especially around food. It got to the point that my horse was so strung up with or without her around and I was afraid to be near her in either situation. I feel so bad for her. We got her originally as a companion for my mare because after a few months of having no other horses with her, she was getting quite depressed. So when we got home my poor girl was so stressed out, she was following us along the fence, she was neighing at nothing, staring at where she saw her friend last...they were really bonded. And now she's alone again. So far my parents don't even want to start looking for another horse, so the best we've got is asking some people on the team if they want to board their horses in our pastures.

The only good thing that came out of this was how well behaved and relaxed my horse is because me(and the goats) are her only source of companionship. She is so much calmer and I feel a lot safer around her now. I also couldn't let the goats out with the other mare here(she hated dogs, and since goats are a similar size and shape, she hated goats), but I let my mare out with them today and she followed them around! I have another practice this weekend and I'm hoping that with recent events and a week of consistent riding, she may be ready to start getting trained for gaming.

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Sounds like someone you want to stay away from. I wouldn't pursue anything either. Best to totally cut ties with her and stay as far away as possible. She should have been up front and honest with you that she wanted the horse back.

Glad your other horse is working out better for you. May end up being a blessing in disguise.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
totally agree with Karen. Imagine if you had paid for the horse, and she stole her back anyway? stay away from this lady. she sounds crazy....

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Bill of sale.... good. The best way to deal with this is to have an attorney send a letter to her stating she either needs to return the horse to you because (and outline the deal) or compensate you for boarding / feeding her for how ever long you had her or you guys will be taking her to court and suing her AND will be contacting the cops (which you shoulda done first thing regardless of who owns what) and report the theft (which you should still do). Most of these retards will reply with a letter to the attorney and just totaly destroy themselves by admitting to the stuff they think isnt as bad... Now go get your horse or your money back.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
That's crazy and I'm very sorry she just took your horse. :(

I have dealt with sort of thing in the past. It's a long story, but basically I sold a horse to someone and found out 6+ months later it was being abused. I wanted to pick up the horse under the owners nose and I had the barn owners permission because she had witnessed everything and the woman owed her a lot of money. So, we figured the barn owner could take the horse as collateral and adopt him out to us (we knew it was a long shot, but it was all we figured we could do :/ ). But, we couldn't do it. We decided to consult with a lawyer before we acted and they said there was no way we could do it. Once you have documentation that you sold a horse (bill of sale, contract, ect.) it's no longer yours. So, that woman legally can't take that horse. You could go to court and fight it, and get the police involved, but that may take more money and time than your willing to spend. Plus if this woman is as crazy as she sounds and the horse caused you that much stress it may not even be worth it.

Honestly for $400 I probably wouldn't go after getting the horse back or the money. I'd just end up in small claims court anyway and sometimes they can make the other person pay even a tiny amount in installments plus being in court is a pain. All and all, in my years with horses I've come to the conclusion that most horse people are bat crap crazy. Most of the time it's not worth fighting them, because it doesn't end welland they're just plain crazy.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Since you hadn't paid her anything for the horse, and there was no contracts of any sort, you are totally out of luck. Such a shame. Sorry that happened to you! Never EVER do any sort of horse dealings without contracts.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the support :grouphug: And Dave, I wish I could, but like ciwheeles said, it's probably not worth the time and money for a 400$ horse. And I want to just cut all ties...but my parents still want to pay the lady who looked after our animals so that she can't go around saying that she did something for us and we didn't do good on our side. But she's been pretty good about avoiding us so I feel like we've been chasing her around trying to give her money! My parents also keep trying to call and talk to them...even though they say they want to just forget them. I think it's to help avoid them talking about us and me getting the brunt of it at school.

Wanna know a few of the biggest pain in the butts with this situation?

1) It happened on my birthday they actually took the horse on my birthday! How sucky is that?(I didn't post this earlier because I didn't even think about it until yesterday :p My birthday was pretty uneventful so I didn't pay too much attention to it)

2)They took a picture of our 'dirty' water. Now they can go around showing everyone in our tiny town that we don't take care of our animals, even though it is very untrue. We scrubbed the thing clean very easily when we got back. The fact that it was so easy to just wipe off shows that it hadn't been long at all since I last cleaned it.

3)The lady who was looking after our animals? Our goat mentor -_- She's been on our property several times in the past few weeks, and never mentioned anything about the conditions of our animals, she's even gone up to the horses pasture and pet them! Never said one word. She even knows me, and knows that I would never let an animal live in terrible conditions, considering how much time and effort I put into a goat with pneumonia. She was even in contact with me the entire weekend, and was even talking to me after she took the horse. She never mentioned anything. Now, I'm out of a horse and someone who could help my sick goats.

4) They were talking about how our pasture was full of potholes(cows had been in the pasture years before and tore up a portion of it), how they didn't have hay, and the water thing. When they first got to our place to check it out and see if it was suitable for the horse to live there, they said it was fine! They saw everything beforehand, the holes, which only cover about a tenth of the pasture, a part that the horses never even go to, the water, which we told them I clean regularly, and the grass, which there is plenty enough to not need hay. She even said she was worried about her 'eating all that green grass and foundering'. So, seriously? They go on to say how surprised and disappointed they are, when they saw before hand. It really irks me that they just now decided to do this. Even if we had done something wrong it wasn't hard to call and say that we needed to change a few things. It's not like the horses were severely emaciated, up to their knees in mud, with no food or water in sight. They were very far from that.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
That really sucks! Sorry to hear all that.

Sometimes it's great to have a close knit community but sometimes it can be a bother. That's awful that the person is gossiping about you like that too. As long as you know your taking care of your horse and goats well that's what's important. I'm sure any normal person could tell your animals are happy and healthy.

And crazy people like that, well they always get what they deserve eventually.. I've seen so many people in my area try to ruin other horse people or just have shady horse practices only for it to to catch up to them. That's good that you did try to set things right though, that way you can always honestly say you all tried to do the right thing.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, and can't really make her pay for much...the horse came with a bag of feed(that lasted the month), fly mask, and selenium block. All I really did was feed them and clean the water.

She isn't gossiping yet, but it will probably happen. She already does it with another girl on the EQ team so she is not opposed to talking about children.

And we actually had our EQ team coach out(she came over for coffee one day lol). She knows all about the situation. She said that even if the water was like that, it wouldn't make the horses sick. She said that they are just horses, they wouldn't even care! She said that we do more much more than even minimal care, nothing even close to neglect. We actually just gave our horse a bath today lol...she did well. And so far hasn't rolled around so I hope that she doesn't before tomorrow(EQ team practice).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts