Can't figure out if/how bucks flavor milk ?!

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by goatsrcute, Jun 1, 2009.

1. goatsrcute

goatsrcute New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    I know there are a few people on here who have their bucks living with their does, but I'm always getting conflicting advise when I try to do more research about it.

Some of the things I've heard are:

Bucks doen't flavor the milk if you milk the doe in a clean environment (distance from the buck varies)
    If the doe can smell or rub against a buck in rut, it'll flavor her milk
    A buck will always flavor the milk
    A buck will only flavor the milk when he's in rut
    If the buck smells badly during rut he will flavor the milk, if he's only so-so he won't
    An older buck will flavor the milk, a younger one won't
    A buck will only flavor the milk if he breeds the doe

So....I'm getting really confused :shrug: . I know that if your buck lives with your does it'll be harder to know due dates, but I'm really confused about the milk-flavoring thing :sigh: . Any ideas?

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Bucks flavor the milk with their musk, but only if you milk when the buck is near. I dont know how far, but milk in a clean area away from the buck. I would say if you cant smell him then he shouldn't flavor the milk. As to a doe rubbin on him and flavorin the milk.... well if the musk is on her then it prolly will get in the milk.

3. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    My buck runs with my does and I have never had my milk pick up his smell. BUT, I milk in a clean environment and I chill my milk immediately-this is what makes the difference. Milk does pick up smell(s) very easily.

Oh and I always know when my girls are due to kid, even though my buck runs with them; I am home and with them all the time.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    ANYTHING can give milk an off flavor.....Bucks because of the strong odor, milk is very delicate and will absorb the flavor of any strong smell in the air/room while it is open to the environment. My bucks are housed next to my girls BUT where I milk is only for the girls, I have a "window" cut into the separating wall for easy access to fill a hayrack, it is not open but covered in plastic so that any bucky aroma's stay on that side.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I have my bucks penned totally separate from my does all the way across the yard, I just don't want to risk it tasting ucky regardless of whether the bucks flavor the milk or not.

6. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    My buck ran with the does last year, but milking was done in the garage (goat barn wasn't built yet). Does were put up in the milkstand, no petting before milking, udders were washed and dried prior to milking. Milk was chilled immediately. No bucky milk here.

7. goatsrcute

goatsrcute New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Thanks everyone for your replies :) . I have thought of another question hehe, do does typically smell like the bucks to do courting/rubbing/playing while the bucks are in rut?

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    YEP! Imagine "tasting" that buck in rut smell :sick:

9. goatsrcute

goatsrcute New Member

Apr 24, 2009