The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 month old doeling has been coughing for about a week and a half now, she has no worms whatsoever and i already gave her baytril bit it didn't seem to do anything, she has no runny nose or sign of cold besides once in a while she will sneeze like the rest of the goats so i dont think the sneezing means anything, im just worried about the coughing, she is beginning to isolate herself from the herd .....im out of ideas and need some suggestions haha

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
How long ago did you give the Baytril and how much? Does she have a temperature? Is she eating? Does she stand hunched up with her tail tucked? If you haven't already done it, you really need to get a temp on her.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
I agree with getting a temp on her, the isolation from the herd is a strong sign she does not feel well

Lung worms cause couphing, and are not detected by a regular fecal...Goathiker shared how to do your own easy fecal for lung worms:
take a piece of gauze..put some goat berries in it and twist it closed..like a gross hershey kiss she said lol..float this in water over night..the worms or larve will swim to the top of the water for you to see...valbazen is a good wormer choice..

other reasons for cough are allergies, dry hay or feed,,eating too fast..but first, get that temp to be sure its not the start of peunomia

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
They can have pneumonia without a temp. My girl's temp has steadily stayed at 103.5 and she has pneumonia which was verified by the vet. Coughing has been her only sign of a problem. I would take her to the vet and have them check it out. I'm not sure if Baytril is a good drug for pneumonia. Draxxin or Nuflor would be better options.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
I agree with Karen...seen it here too...sometimes all you have to go on is their behavior..like standing away from the herd..

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I'm not sure if Baytril is a good drug for pneumonia. Draxxin or Nuflor would be better options.
It depends on the type of pneumonia - maybe the goat. I've used Baytril for years and it knocked it out every single time until Splash came down with pneumonia. In her case, Baytril was absolutely useless and she needed Draxxin. I don't know what the difference was.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
CL clean herd? CL can show up in the lungs. Using ceder shavings at all? They can cause bad lung and nasal irritation. Best to use pine shavings. Do lung worms show up in fecal tests? Just tossing out some possible ideas.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Is she in a dusty area? Seen goats and sheep get a dry cough from dust, like an allergy. But they usually don't seclude themselves.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
May be cocci? Is she on prevention? By "no worms" is that because you had a fecal done? We had our first case of pneumonia this year. Temp was in the 103 range...but...she was coughing and stuffy...didn't take her bottle well...but with DH's love and patience she pulled through. I used Penn G.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
hows she feeling today?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No temp. Eating exactly the same and acting/standing normal besides the coughing and isolating from the group.....were do u get dermmax?

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
I believe that is Rx from a vet...you can choose Nuflor as well..both are good antibiotics for Upper resp. infection and pneumonia...if you cant get to a vet for meds..choose Tylan 200 which is OTC 1 cc per 25# sub q very 12 hours..

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Tylan 200 is the least expensive I believe, about $33 a bottle.. Nuflor cost me just under $100! Not sure about Draxxin....Make sure to get Tylan 200..not tylan 50..

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
Draxxin is expensive. You will want to get 2 shots to take care of a 14 day coverage. I think a 50 ml bottle is around $225.

Draxxin is good for 7 days so you only have to give one shot every 7 days.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think ill go with the tylan then haha! What does that all do to help the goat and can i get it from the vet....I'm just verifying everything lol

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Tylan 200 is an antibiotic and if she has underlying infection such as silent pneunomia...this will help clear that it up along with that cough...we are hoping any way : )
You might be able to get it from the vet but tractor supply would be cheaper : )

1 - 20 of 21 Posts