The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It seems that every time I turn around someone is getting sick it was a few different things but the scours I can't seem to get rid of one goat clears up then another gets it! First round was dark brown nasty smell I treated for cossidia it seems to have gone through just about every one now they are starting again with light brown or kinda green color poo I just don't know what to do this is driving me crazy and a couple of the bucks had rock hard rumen but it was bloat I did give baking soda just incase but I am sure that isn't it
I haven't changed feed or hay no fevers I wormed last month

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
30,628 Posts
I would have a fecal done to be sure you are using the correct wormer...Karen gave a link that includes a place to mail off the sample to be tested so if you dont have a vet near..this is a good option..I would gather fresh poo either from everyone or from those who are having a problem...I would also redo the test in a week...since goats shed worm eggs in cycles..one sample may come back as clean and a week later full of eggs...once you know what you are dealing with if anything..treatment is easy. If you get into the practice of sending a few monthly or bi month samples in you will have a very good idea of what worm is most active in your herd..and you will be on top of taking care of them. With all that said lol...greenish tinted poo can also be dietary...too much graze or wet graze or too much grain..And with the bloat issue this could be the issue...If you set out to graze your goats..doing so 30-40 minutes after you have fed hay helps the rumen set up and also allows the dew to dry....worm eggs travel up the dew tot eh tops of the blades and goats eat that and re-infest themselves with worm eggs and the wet grass can cause bloat and runs as well..-

·
1,384 Posts
yup, it is that time of year. Same thing is going on at our farm and same thing happened last year to us this time a year. It gets really frustrating. Lots of worms/parasites and additional bacteria this time of year. And our area has not hardly seen a 2 or 3 day stretch with no rain since this spring. We just keep a close eye on them and look at everyone twice a day. Treat anyone that starts with runny poop. Check eye lid color often.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is driving me crazy I nvr had this problem last yr i feel terrible for them we go from dry hacking cough wet mucus cough sours then back dry hacks cough wet cough scours I wish I could just take fecal to vet he is driving me crazy I talk to a local person last night I might try her vet I am going to have to send fecal test regularly for a while just to see what is up wish I could do myself

·
Registered
30,628 Posts
Im trying to learn to do my own as well...once you begin to tell the different eggs apart Im sure it gets easier:D Sure will save on time and money...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im trying to learn to do my own as well...once you begin to tell the different eggs apart Im sure it gets easier:D Sure will save on time and money...
Yes it would it would be nice to be able to tell that day what they have going on instead of a week or so

1 - 8 of 8 Posts