Can't find a vet in my area and I need help

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by newgoatmom, Sep 10, 2010.

1. newgoatmom

newgoatmom New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    I am new to the area here and I can't find anyone that knows anything about a vet that sees goats. I was given a little goat by someone that was getting rid of the mom on Craigslist and I can't get the person to email me back now. So here is my situation. I have a young buck somewhere between 4-8weeks old,not for sure on age. He has pale gums and pale around his eyes. His poo is kind of yellowish and is in the form of dog poo shape. Not little pellets. He will NOT take milk from the bottle,I have had some sucess getting him to drink milk out of a bowl. I have dewormed him with Safeguard .06cc 3 days in a row we kind of estimated his weight since we have no scale. He seems to really like eating hay and fresh grass and will drink water out of a bucket.I did offer him a bite of chicken scratch just to see if he would eat it not even an 1/8th of a cup and he did. He isn't thriving though and I know the pale gums are bad I did check his temp and it is was 101. I know this is a lot to throw out to the group but I don't want to loose the guy and I really don't know where else to go. He has been like this since we brought him home Saturday.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    First - hello and welcome to goats!

Now, the little guy - NO chicken scratch ever!!!! That will make him sick, sick, sick.

Eating and drinking is good. Have you checked his temp? More than likely he has cocci, but without a fecal it is hard to know for sure. If he is that white - I would definately take a fecal sample to the vet then treat appropriately. Most wormers you can buy over the counter, but safeguard - from my undrstanding is about non existant in effectiveness, but hope someone will tell me if I am wrong on here ;-)

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    His temp is good, the soft yellow poo could be from the chicken feed, which Allison said....NO,NO and I agree, he's a goat and if you want to try him on a little grain there are alot of good brands of goat feed available.

His age is "right" for coccidia and any vet...livestock or not can run a fecal and tell you what wormload or coccidia he may have. Safeguard is only good for tapewworms in some areas, most parasites are resistant to it, I've had success so far with Ivermectin...I use the horse paste wormer and dose young kids that weigh between 10 and 20 pounds with 1/4 cc and repeat in 7-10 days.
    Allow him as much hay as he wants, you can also offer him some old fashioned oatmeal, NOT the instand kind but the stuff you cook..it will add some nutrition to his diet and will help bind his poop. Yellow poop normally indicates a milk rich diet but the chicken feed would do that too.
    Also, get a bottle of Nutri Drench and give him a squirt or 2, it too will help with getting him back to himself. Tractor Supply carries alot of the different things used for goats from feeds, minerals, meds, probiotics and the wormers.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    safeguard also treats giardia ;) just as a side note.

anyway I would get him grain thats for goats. If he will take the milk out of a bowl that works, keep doing that and dont force the bottle.

Coccidia can be treated with Sulmet, Albon, Dimethox or Corid. Dosage is different with each so be sure to let us know what you get so we can help with dosing.

Any dog or cat vet can do a stool sample and tell you if it contains coccidia eggs or worm eggs.

But if you cant do that I would 1) take out the chicken scratch 2) treat for coccidia with any of the above mentioned 3)give a couple ccs of pepto to firm up his stools a bit so he doesnt get dehydrated.

5. newgoatmom

newgoatmom New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    He was doing so much better yesterday. His poo was returning to normal and I was thinking yeah. This morning I went out to check on him and he is bad. He was laying in the hay just laying there barely yelling. I brought him in and I don't have a heater so I started with a warm towel and the hair dryer. I gave him 6 cc. of warmed syrup and water. I do have coffee should I give him some of that? I fear this is not gonna end good at all. His eyes appear swelled shut but that could be because gnats. I am gonna fight all I can but if anyone can give tips or help please do so. He is in my bathroom now so I can get the room really warm with the hairdryer.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    whats his temp?

can you get fluids into him? you said you gave teh syrup water - Can you get electrolytes? Coffee cant hurt him so sure add that to the mixture you were syringe feeding. Just a couple ccs.

7. newgoatmom

newgoatmom New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    I have the electrolytes I mixed in with the syrup solution. He is only at 95*,has started grinding his teeth,and his gums are grey. I did find my old heating pad and I am using that. His chest compressions are better than when I first brought him in but the are very shallow and not very often. I fear I have failed. I don't know if he is suffering and that is what hurts my heart. I don't like anything to suffer.

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    His body temp is VERY low. Right now really concentrate on getting that up with the heating pad under him with a towel tucken in over the top of him. If you don't have hot water bottles, fill baggies with hot water and put on either side of him up against the body under the towel.

Mix coffee, molassass (or karo syrup) and a hint of whiskey if you have it and give him some of that - about 3 cc to start to help him from the inside to warm up.

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    do you have an emergency vet clinic? He really needs to get to a vet only because you don't know how old he is and what the deal is with him (worms, cocci, starvation, ..... )

10. newgoatmom

newgoatmom New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    The ER vet clinic said they only work on cats,dogs so that was a no go. But I guess that doesn't matter as the little guy has passed on. I do thank each of you that responded to my post. I don't think I will be getting another goat this young ever again. I wanted a young one so that it would be more friendly than one raised in a field and never touched but I can't put mine or my daughter through this again anytime soon. I am glad that I never introduced him to the goat we already have just in case,but this was suppose to be her friend :angelgoat:

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh I am so sorry :( sometimes you try so hard and its just not enough! When i had a goat that was terribly sick I just came into the clinic and they said "we dont do goats" with tears said "he cant breathe" next thing the vet tech was there and scooped him out of my arms and they took him away.

I always say its better to just show up - they rarely refuse you if you have a sick goat in your arms.

young is good to bond with but unless you know they will take a bottle before you bring them home its best to leave with mom and then get when old enough to be weaned.

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm so sorry he passed. You did what you could for him.

You can get a young kid and have it be friendly even if you wait til they are 8 weeks old...most breeders won't sell a kid until it's at least that old, myself included, I don't have "field" goats but ones raised specifically to be loved as pets. Don't give up on having a kid to bond with, look around your area...even a little ways out I'm sure you will find someone who raises friendly "pets".

13. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    So sorry to hear he passed on. I agree with what Liz and Stacey said... always try to make sure they're either on the bottle or old enough to be weaned before coming home. :hug: You did the best you could though and you gave the guy your love and care, and sometimes that's all we can do :hug:

14. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am so sorry that you lost him. {hugs}

My suggestion - if you want a young one in the future - make sure that it from a reputable breeder that knows the age, gives you records with the animal and that the animal is either 8 weeks or older and been weaned for a time so that they are good and strong - or a kid that is on the bottle without any issues. When I do bottle babies, they NEVER leave unless they are good and strong on the bottle and each animal has their own records that go with the animal also. Just a thought.