The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How on earth do you get them to stand long enough to give them a shot? Lily has 2 more pen-g shots left to complete the 5 day treatment for her mastitis. Every day it seems to get harder and harder to get it done! I am just about to give up!!!

It seems like she tenses up so much I can't hardly get the needle in and once I do stick her of course she starts moving around I'm afraid I'll stab the needle in too deep. I'll admit I'm clumsy with it and nervous myself and I can't help that. I don't know anyone that will do it for me. My hubby is helping hold her but we're both afraid of choking her to hold her tight enough to keep her still. (no, he won't give the shot either)

What would happen if I stopped the shots altogether? Can I start to treat holistically?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
For the bigger ones I straddle them and pen them up against a wall of the barn or something since I usually have to do I by my self. But the younger/smaller ones I sit on something and hold them in my lap to do it. They still wiggle and try to get away but it seems to be easier to take them off their feet :)

·
14,456 Posts
How many days has she been getting it? Give her the full 5 days.
Our system is to clip to an eye bolt. Bob usually holds head but if Im alone I brace shoulder & flank with my knees while she is against fence & inject.

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm too short to straddle her, I don't think my feet would touch the ground. Not to mention she has horns.

I try to hold her up against a wall and have her tied short, but she still manages to move too much for my comfort.

Also, I think my hand just isn't big enough to use the plunger with one hand and I'm trying to hold the skin up with the other. This blasted cold weather isn't helping as they are all fluffed up.

I'll try one more time after feeding tonight, but if I can't get it this time.. I dunno what I'll do. Seriously I am thinking they should come up with a liquid antibiotic or 'goat gummy chewables' or something. I remember giving my son liquid amoxicillian when he was little... I mean come on! What exactly do scientists do anyway???

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How many days has she been getting it? Give her the full 5 days.
Our system is to clip to an eye bolt. Bob usually holds head but if Im alone I brace shoulder & flank with my knees while she is against fence & inject.
She has had 3 shots so far....

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Might have hubby build you a table for next time..would be handy for hooves, check up and shot giving : ) in the mean time...back her in a corner, wall on one side...have hubby hold her with his inner elbow under her chin, holding her neck in a choke hold of sorts, but not squeezing, more against her chest then neck..then ask him to push the fulllength of his leg into her hip to hold her firm in the corner...you stand in front but just to the side...lift her skin where the neck meets the body..there is lots of skin there...Give pen Sub q...she needs at least 5 full days...

best wishes...

·
Super Moderator
14,790 Posts
Usually I put their head between my legs while I face their rump and go for it but I have been told I have freakishly strong legs. I do have a doe that thought it was cute to hook and bite me last time I tried to give a shot so I walked her over to a tree limb and tied her head up then pushed her to the tree its self and she couldn't move. You could also try to wait till you catch her laying down and jump on her.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I usually put them on the stand but if they refuse to jump up on it i either lay them down, straddle them, or the other day i just put ones neck between a gate and a pole, so her head stuck out the other side, and tied it like a head gate so i could trim her feet. It worked great. :)

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the advice everyone.... we managed to get shot number 4 in her after feeding time. Well most of it anyway. She backed up a step about midway through and the needle ended up going through the skin and squirted some outside the goat.. (that's the second time this week that happened) had to back it up and start again.

I cannot express how badly I hate giving shots!!!! I'm really lousy at it and feel like such a failure... and a whinny-sissy! Makes me want to give up goats!!! GAH!

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Put her behind a gate. Rub her neck where you are going to inject hard to desensitize it, then stick her and do the deed. Rub the injection site again after. Alternate the side you are injecting each day, also.
She doesn't want me NEAR her neck right now! She knows what's going on when I touch her neck, but if I'm not giving the shot, she's fine with being handled anywhere... I'm sure she senses my tension also.

Yup, I knew to alternate sides every day....

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Might have hubby build you a table for next time..would be handy for hooves, check up and shot giving : ) in the mean time...back her in a corner, wall on one side...have hubby hold her with his inner elbow under her chin, holding her neck in a choke hold of sorts, but not squeezing, more against her chest then neck..then ask him to push the fulllength of his leg into her hip to hold her firm in the corner...you stand in front but just to the side...lift her skin where the neck meets the body..there is lots of skin there...Give pen Sub q...she needs at least 5 full days...

best wishes...
I have a milk stand that I built, and I tried using it for shots I had to give her last summer... it didn't work out for me. She can still move forward and backward and I was afraid she'd do that with the needle in and either break the needle or make it go into the muscle where it didn't belong. I had a little better set up last summer, I don't have that same set up now tho.

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
She backed up a step about midway through and the needle ended up going through the skin and squirted some outside the goat.. (that's the second time this week that happened) had to back it up and start again.

I cannot express how badly I hate giving shots!!!! I'm really lousy at it and feel like such a failure... and a whinny-sissy! Makes me want to give up goats!!! GAH!
Cheyenne, you are not lousy at it, and you are far from being a failure - you are just inexperienced. There is a learning curve with everything and shots are no different. What gauge needle are you using and what length is it? What size syringe? I found out a long time ago that 1/2" 18 gauge needles work better for penicillin than 1 or 1 1/2" - 16 gauge is ideal, but I hate using them on my goats due to their size. Sub Q shots are also a bit tricky because it is very easy to not get the needle where it needs to be and that interferes with injecting the medication. Cut yourself some slack and accept that it's going to take some time to get the technique down. If you wanted to describe how you are currently giving her her shot, and I will be happy to make suggestions that could possibly make it easier on you and her. If not, that's ok too. :)

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
She doesn't want me NEAR her neck right now! She knows what's going on when I touch her neck, but if I'm not giving the shot, she's fine with being handled anywhere... I'm sure she senses my tension also.

Yup, I knew to alternate sides every day....
I completely understand that, and you're right - she does sense your tension and your lack of confidence. You might give some thought to maybe giving her a treat when you're done injecting her to put a bit of a positive turn on it. That works with some of girls. Ok, I didn't know and thought the alternating was worthwhile to mention.

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Usually I put their head between my legs while I face their rump and go for it but I have been told I have freakishly strong legs.
I do the same. I ride horses so lots of thigh strength! Not sure that would work on my buck though.

For sub Q I like to go behind the elbow, lots of loose skin there. If you have two people I would have one hold her by the horns up against something, then you shove your body up against her so she's squeezed against the wall. That should pretty much immobilize her.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
When I first got goats I couldnt even put my hand in a drawer that had needles in it..just gave me the willies...my daughter did all shots...when she married and moved off I had to learn to do shots...All though its a job I dislike...I do it for their sake...taking a deep breath and realizing that with each shot you are making her well..and I promise she will forgive you...when my goats are ill, they run from me..breaks my heart...but once they are better they are back at looking for me to get a good rub down...
areas you can give shots other than neck area are over the ribs,which they seem to take easy enough, the arm pit ( although I have never given it there)...the hip..here is a link to help...all shots can be given SUB Q other than hormones..
http://goat-link.com/content/view/19/102/#.UqX2WGRDt6Q

1 - 20 of 20 Posts