Can't get new born triplets to eat!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Goat Crazy, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    My doe had triplets this morning and I can't get them to nurse :GAAH: I tried for a while then let them be to see if they would do better by themselves, but they still haven't nursed. They keep walking around searching, but keep missing the teats. I stuck the teats in their mouths, but they just scream and then their mom will move too see whats wrong. Any suggestions on what to do?

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I would milk some out and give it to them by syringe or bottle, just to get it in them at this point. Then keep working with directing them to the teat. Did you strip out the plug? If so, then usually the smell of milk on the teat will give them the idea that that's where the food is.

Make sure if you feed by syringe to do that slowly.

3. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Okay, I guess I should have waited a little longer I saw the bigger one eat and the other one had a little milk around the edges of her mouth. The smallest one is a little weak and can't walk, so I am bottle feeding her or syringe feeding. Her suck is good, but the nipple is a little big.

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    looks like they were just a little slow, good luck with the smallest one!

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    n How is that little one doing? If it is a lot smaller then the others, then I would for sure bottle feed it. The bigger ones will push it away and not let it nurse.

You might need to tube this little one or at least use a syringe to get the colostrum in it.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Congrats on the new kids...I agree with the others... :wink: ...also giving a Bo-se shot 1/4cc with vitE to the weak kid... will help and give some nutra drench....but make sure that they get the colostrum...milk it into a syringe and feed it slowly to insure they get it...that will also help... to stimulate appetite... Good luck... :hug:

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Congrats on the trips --- looks like you are going to have a house friend :)

8. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    They are doing all well now. The little one is up and walking but her front legs are all crooked bow legged look. I don't have any Bo-Se shots on hand, but I do have selenium/Vit.-E gel would that work? Should I just smear it on her tong? I put her back with her mom and siblings just so she could grow with them(I would still feed her), mom was licking her so I thought she had accepted her....but a little later she made it clear that she didn't want this baby. Also, how often should I feed her? I usually bottle feed 4 times a day for the first few days, but because she is so small should I do 5? Oh, and she is a Nigerian dwarf if this makes any difference.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would feed her every 2-3 hours and yes you can give her a couple ccs of the selenium paste -- it takes longer to take effect but it will do her good

10. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    So how much at each feeding? Little less then 1/8 cup? She weighs just under 2lbs.

11. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I have another question. Her poo is kind of runny, I know it doesn't get hard until they are like their 3 days old, but hers is more runny than the other two and more runny the she first couple of poos. Is this normal for some kids?

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    is she being bottle fed her mom's milk or replacer?

13. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
  14. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Now she isn't going potty that often, she has peed maybe once and has been fed three times. She had normal poo this morning but not much and has not gone since this morning. Should i be worried?

15. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Keep an eye on her peeing, but if she went a long time without nursing she may be a little dehydrated and is using more of momma's milk than she's excreting. That should be ok . . . but if she doesn't pee for hours and hours (6+) then I might start to worry. Glad her poops are normal! :D

She probably has crooked legs because her tendons were constricted by her siblings. The condition is known as contracted tendons and it is absolutely normal in multiple births and that may have made her a little bit slow on getting up to nurse too. She will probably need some extra help by doing a little physical therapy. You can stretch out her legs and hold the stretch for a second or two to try to get them back to their natural position. Do that for 5 or 10 minutes several times a day until she gets better. The selenium shot wont hurt her as long as you don't overdose. She should get over it on her own in a few days to 2 weeks. Make sure she's still nursing though . . . contracted tendons will make it harder for her to stand for long periods of time and it will also make it harder for her to fight off her siblings for a chance at a teat.

Congrats again on the babies! We must have pix :greengrin:

16. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Okay, great thanks! She peed a lot about two hours or so ago still hasn't had any poo since this morning though. She is on a bottle, she wouldn't have been able to hold her own. After feeding her colostrum I took her back to mom, but after a while she decided that she didn't want her. Pictures are in birth announcements mom is Miss Polly.