Can't get rid of Parasites!

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by laurelsh, Dec 2, 2020.

1. laurelsh

laurelsh Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    I'm so frustrated! I got 2 new goats from VA (I'm in CA) in mid September and fecal test 9/25 showed Isabella with Coccidia >30,000 Trichostongyle 2500 eggs/g. Emmie with Coccidia 1750 eggs/g. I've had them in quarantine from my other goats, cleaning their pen a lot, and the following:
    9/25 - Isabella was treated with Toltrazuril, Ivomec and Safeguard.
    9/25 - Emmie treated with Tolturazil.
    10/21 - repeat fecal showed strong Coccidia in both and Trichs also in Isabella.
    10/22 - repeat above treatment on both, Tolturazil, Ivomec and Safegaurd to Isabella. Tolturazil to Emmie.
    Both get Probiotics daily.
    10/31 - repeat Tolturazil, Ivomec and Safegaurd to Isabella. Tolturazil to Emmie.
    11/11 - repeat Tolturazil, Ivomec and Safegaurd to Isabella. Tolturazil to Emmie.
    12/1 - repeat fecal still shows Isabella with Coccidia 7850 eggs/g, Trichs 450 eggs/g. Emmie has Coccidia 7900 eggs/g.
    Obviously, I'm not going to use Tolturazil again. It has worked for me in the past as a one-shot treatment! Should I get my vet involved ($$$) or should I just try another medication?
    I've never had this before. By the way, neither one of them have any symptoms. You would never know by looking at them that they have parasites. The labs have been done by UC Davis, a respected lab.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  2. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Try switching to another coccidea medication, maybe Corid. Tolturazil doesn't always work and depending on where it was made, may not have enough of the chemical in it.

3. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    I read that Sulfamethoxazole & Trimethoprim Oral Suspension would be a good treatment, on www.tenneseemeatgoats.com. I guess I'll call my vet and see about getting a script for that. They say use tablets for adults, I wonder how you do that?
    Or Primor, which TenneseeMeatGoats says is prescription of choice? Isabella might be pregnant, so I can't use Valbazen with her.

AlabamaGirl likes this.
  4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Ok, let's take a breather because I see a lot of failing meds.

Here's what you could do:

Corid 5 day long treatment on both.

Cydectin + Safeguard given once then again 10-14 days later. 10 days AFTER THE SECOND dose, grab another fecal.

This herbal formula daily for a week:

1/4 teaspoon of cayenne, cinnamon, slippery elm bark powder, and ginger (can be substituted for a slice of raw ginger the size of a quarter about 1/2 cm thick). Blend with 1 raw clove of garlic, molasses, apple cider vinegar, and enough water to drench.

ALTERNATIVELY (I SERIOUSLY recommend this)
    Go natural and buy Fir Meadow LLC's GI Soother and DWA and dose in a treatment regimen, and use the essential oils DigestZen, Lemongrass, Oregano, and Wild Orange from DoTerra in 3cc olive oil given 3 days on 4 days off.

Fir Meadow LLC DWA - https://www.firmeadowllc.com/store/..._supports_body_in_foreign_matter_removal.html

Fir Meadow LLC GI Soother - https://www.firmeadowllc.com/store/p811/GI_Soother™_Digestive_System_Support_16_oz.html

Zippy Two Dogs and AlabamaGirl like this.
  5. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Breather yes!
    I don't like CoRid, because it necessitates also a Vitamin B1 shot every day they get it.
    Cydectin, No because Isabella may be pregnant.
    On the Alternative Herbal, given 3 days on 4 days off, for how long do you do that, and then redo fecal test?

The failing meds are Tolturazil (Baycox), Safeguard and Ivomec.

AlabamaGirl likes this.
  6. AlabamaGirl

AlabamaGirl Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2020
    Southeast
    It may not be feasible, but I read an article somewhere that said taking stock completely off pasture will gradually decrease wormload to a tiny amount. It would kill off a good majority of those persistent worms in the goats and on pasture, plus, if they are parasite resistant they won't spread and thrive.

*It may take a good long while though

7. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    They are not on pasture. They are in dry lot. :(

AlabamaGirl likes this.
  8. AlabamaGirl

AlabamaGirl Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2020
    Southeast
    Sorry about that I accidentally missed that portion of your post...

9. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Oh, no problem AlabamaGirl, I didn't mention that before! I'm frustrated with the situation, not your reply!

AlabamaGirl likes this.
  10. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I second the herbs and ess. Oils. I like and use Land of Havilah herbal parasite formula and Doterra ess. Oils. This combo saved my herd.

GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  11. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

No. You shouldn't give any B vitamins while giving Corid. If you give B vitamin, it can cancel out the Corid.

12. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Thank you, But this is a quote from TenneseeMeatGoats: "I do not recommend using CoRid because its active ingredient, amprollium, inhibits Vitamin B 1 (thiamine) production that is vital to rumen function and some strains of coccidia have become resistant to it." "When using CoRid, also dose with thiamine (Vitamin B1) at 4 cc per 100 lbs bodyweight given IM or SQ." I thought they were very well respected in their goat medication advice?

13. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I missed the pregnant thing first time reading.

You can’t give Corid and vitamin b together. Corid works BECAUSE it depletes thiamine and then mimicks it so when the coccidia consumes it, it dies.

If you give B during this time, it defeats the purpose and will not work.

Tennessee meat goats is good but outdated.

P.S. it is EXTREMELY rare to have polio happen from Corid, I’ve actually never seen or heard of it personally.

Please go the herbal route!

CountyLineAcres and laurelsh like this.
  14. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Thank you NigerianDwarfOwner707 for clarifying that. Yes, I'm thinking the herbal route too, have sent them an email.
    How long would you have to do the 3 days on, 4 days off before retesting? And do you think it is significant that both goats are without symptoms?

Also, I'm wondering about Primor, which TennesseeMeatGoats says is drug of choice for coccidia?

15. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    What did you send them an email for?

I’d do the 3 days on 4 days off for at least 2 rounds of the 3 day treatments.

16. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Just to ask them about their products & my situation.
    On the essential oils, what is the dose for: DigestZen, Lemongrass, Oregano, and Wild Orange from DoTerra in 3cc olive oil?

17. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Their dewormer products are safe for pregnancy

laurelsh likes this.
  18. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Ksalvagno, thank you. I got this straightened out. Would Corid be your drug of choice in my case to try next? I'm just wanting to know your opinion. I am trying to decide medicine vs herbal, it's difficult. The herbal route is a significant amount of $, probably over $100 to get all the supplies, so that is unfortunately a deterrent for me.

MadHouse likes this.
  19. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would do Corid. It has worked in the past for me. Toth Boer Goats knows the proper dosage. Luckily it has been a long time since I have needed to use it.

20. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Thank you, Karen, that's great you haven't needed it. I've never had coccidia resistant like this before to treatment, so it's a first for me. Does Corid also take care of Trichostrongyles?