Can't get rid of Parasites!

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by laurelsh, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    You dose AFTER treatment with corid with the b complex or thiamine not during. ;). No the corid only treats for cocci. And. Shame on the breeder for not making sure they were low loads on all of this before they sent them off! Esp with that long a trip because stress make a bloom happen.

2. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I use Corid. Ive never had a problem with it. I would make sure you know the actual weight of each goat. It is a 5 day treatment. And i wait for 5 days after the last treatment to do a fecal. Then I give my b complex.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I think when trouble arises with corid..its being used wrong. It needs to be diluted and dosed proper. I beleive instructions are in the medicine file up top. And yes, always hold off b complex/thiamine until a few days after you are finished treatment.

4. laurelsh

laurelsh Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Thank you. Amazingly there seems to be run on Corid - I could only find ONE in my county, and it's an hour away. What about the trichostongyles? She has been treated with Ivomec & Safeguard for them 3x without success. One person suggested I increase the dose 1.5 times? Or use something else? She may be pregnant.

5. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Safeguard is not an effective dewormer. Ivomec for many has lost its strength. I would rather try another family of dewormer than increase the amount.
    Valbazen is one of a different family..dosed oral 1 cc per 10 pounds. Booster 3 times 10 days apart then once more in 30 days. This can not be used in pregnant goats however.
    Prohibit (lavamisole) is a different family of dewormer..one I call a big gun. Should not be used in weak or down animals as can cause death. 4 cc per 100 pounds of proper mix.
    Its a powder..mix the pouch in 17.5 oz of water.

Cydectin is with in the same family of dewormer as Ivomec but can be effective for a while even if ivimec is no longer working.. I would choose either Quest horse paste.. carefully dosed 1 cc per 100 pound. It doesn't have a good safety margin, so dosing must be careful.
    Or Cydectin sheep drench. 4 5 cc per 25# orally.
    I would NOT use Cydectin cattle pour on at all.

Personally I recommend grabbing quality herbal parasite formula to in the least piggie back with chemical treatment. I like Land of havilah as its been very effective here. I also use do terra essential oils during peek months.

6. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Thank you so much! I'll get the herbal parasite formula stuff as a Christmas present... sounds like a good idea.

MadHouse and happybleats like this.
  7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    The natural dewormer will take care of the Trichostrongyles.

laurelsh likes this.
  8. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Okay, it's on my Christmas list. I do like herbal things but tend to be afraid to rely on them when it comes to my animals. I've actually had very little parasite problem here, and these does apparently brought in some tough stuff with them from VA.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Well, I've relied on them for years and have not had to use any chemicals whatsoever. :clever:

MadHouse likes this.
  10. Ana

Ana Active Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Gallatin TN
    My favorite preventative is diatemecious earth because it is a very cheap and all natural dewormer! I recently slacked off and didn’t mix it into the feed for about a month and found myself dealing with hookworm (that’s all better now). But the way it works is it has scratchiness (yes I just made up a word) to it and it basically slices the eggs and parasites in half. Always works for me and the bag lasts forever. (They have some at tractor supply). Al I do is for the goats I mix 1/2 cup into one feed bag and for the chickens and guineas (the bird not the pig) I mix 1/4 cup into their feed bag and the dogs 1/2 cup as well. And diatemecious earth can be used for goats of all ages and pregnant or lactating does.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  11. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    We had a run on ivomec and corid- someone somewhere thought that it might get rid of Covid, unbelievable. I guess desperation or misinformation is the cause....

GoofyGoat and Moers kiko boars like this.
  12. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Oh I get that 100%. I bought LOH several years ago and it sat in my cupboard for a few years LOL. I was so afraid I would loose a goat if I didn't deworm as I was told by a few goat friends. You hear sad stories of loss due to herbs. But then I started loosing goats to worms and nothing was helping. So in came LOH fresh order of herbs. Many of my goats were anemic, scouring and loosing weight. But I dug in..did acute dosing...added Ess. oil blend to really kick things in gear and THAT saved my goats. What I learned is..Buy Quality, Be aggressive if you are in crisis, Herbs are more than for parasite control..they are good food, easy to absorb and for the body to use. Trust who you buy from and get their advice on how to use it successfully. Loss comes with inferior product or lack of proper use. I am so pleased with how my goats look and their health. That being said, if I had to use chemical treatment to save a goat..I would..just have not needed to. And I think herbs is a great Christmas Gift idea!!

13. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Thank you HappyBleats for understanding and relaying your own hesitance! :)
    By the way, out of curiosity, would it be bad to using the herbal AND the chemical at the same time?

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  14. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    No, but herbals do work, so you don't need a chemical - using a chemical defeats the purpose of using herbs. We recommend herbs because they are safe and chemicals aren't (in the large scheme of things, they aren't healthy).

MadHouse likes this.
  15. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Why it wont "hurt" to do both at the same time, as NDO707 said, it wont be necessary if you do acute dosing of the herbs then keep up with it weekly. However if you need to treat while waiting for the herbs, I can see doing that.

16. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Thank you, I thought it was a fairly dumb question!

Moers kiko boars and happybleats like this.
  17. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Not a dumb question at all. Its all a learning game :) and questions help us learn!!

18. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Well, that's an issue. I'm starting medications (again) tomorrow. They have no symptoms, but it's just been going on too long to wait at all IMHO.

MadHouse likes this.
  19. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Hopefully you're not just doing the same thing again?

20. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Nope! Corid this time. Dreading the 5 days in a row drenching, but got to do it.
    I really want to thank you, NDO707 for all the time you took to look at my situation and replies and trying to steer me toward herbals. If I had more $ and time to order and wait for shipping, it sounds really good. But it's been going on so long I feel a bit desperate to take care of it now, and with limited $ that doesn't help either, or else I'd do next day air shipping.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020