Can't get rid of Parasites!

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by laurelsh, Dec 2, 2020.

1. laurelsh

laurelsh Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    When you say you would piggie back the herbals with the chemical treatment, do you mean give the herbals at the same time?

2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    "In the least I would piggie back"
    Yes IF you felt you had to use chemical treatment. Its better to just use the herbal but I know for some this can be scary in an active case...using the herbs even if you used chemical gets the goat started on the herbs..you will be amazed how well they work. Key is getting the goat started on herbs asap.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020

3. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    I have ordered the 2 herbal mixes from Fir Meadow LLC, so the next challenge will be how to get them into the goats... LOL

4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I've got you covered there!

Any treats that your goats really like? Molasses, peanut butter, applesauce?

MadHouse and laurelsh like this.
  5. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    I wish! I haven't found something they ALL like yet. I need to experiment with the 2 new does who are quarantined with parasites to see... I will start working on that! My other 5 goats are very opinionated on what they do/don't like and it's been hard to find something they will ALL do anything for. I can work on that more too. One likes canned pumpkin, rest don't... none go for molasses.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  6. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Try honey. I have a VERY picky doe that hates molasses, wont even try it, but honey mixed with herbs is apparently candy in her mind!

7. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
  8. NicoleV

NicoleV Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2015
    SF Bay Area, CA
    If you're going the herbal route, Oregano (greek, not the one from Mexico) and Thyme are great for coccidia. You can get them from herbco.com for a good price (shipping is expensive though). Try mixing them with flour and molasses to make a firm dough ball that is like a treat. You'll need to give each goat about a tablespoon of herb a day at least until it's under control. I've also tried crushed garlic mixed with molasses water and drenched, which worked.

MellonFriend and MadHouse like this.
  9. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    I'm waiting for the herb formulas to arrive from Fir Meadow, and I tried honey on the 2 does needing the herbs, and they ate it!! WooHoo! They finished their 5-day Corid also. Crossing fingers!

10. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Still Battling. I treated Isabella & Emmie with 5 days of CoRid, and Isabella also got 2 cc Ivomec on 12/4 and 12/14. I got the Fir Meadow Herbs after finishing CoRid, and treated both with 5 days of herb mixes - DWA and Soother (dosed with honey!)

Then I had a fecal test redone, 7 days after completing CoRid:
    Isabella went from Coccidia 7850, Trich 450 on 12/2, to Coccidia 39,650, Trich 600 on 12/15. (she may be pregnant)
    Emmie went from Coccidia 7900 on 12/2, to Coccidia 7050 on 12/15.
    Suggestions?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  11. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Usually it takes at least 10.days to 2 weeks for the total effects of corid to work. 1 week you would be in the middle of the cleaning. I have no idea about the natural route. I only do that on humans.
    Have you given them copper for help with.parasite resistance. Also garlic & B complex 10 days after Corid.
    Are the goats in a dry lot or small area. Barberpoll can thrive in a small area and keep reinfecting the goats.

MadHouse likes this.
  12. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Thank you for your time! I was told by another person who has done Famacha training and updating this year too, that 7-10 days was an okay time to retest after CoRid. They have had copper. They got B+ after CoRid. They are in a dry lot, small area (quarantine). I have never had parasite issues like this before. Barberpoll is not showing up on any of the fecal tests.

It looks like I need to try Sulfamethoxine next (generic Albon) if I am going to do more medications.
    Fir Meadows has given me a heavy duty protocol for every 2 hours the 1st day, reducing gradually after that. It turns out that using honey to make herb balls, they love them, so that makes it a lot easier!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  13. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    I'm writing again here to see what opinions folks have regarding what should I do next to wipe out the parasite problem in these 2 goats. I am doing the Fir Meadows herbs protocol, but wonder about the medication route - or did I truly retest too early?

I'm confused with different instructions from different folks. I was told I could retest at 7-10 days after finishing CoRid, so I retested at 7 days and it showed one goat with an explosion of Coccidia and the other with an only slightly less amount. But maybe 7 days was too soon? If that's the case, should I retest again at 2 weeks post CoRid?

14. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I would keep up with the FM protocol and wait a few days after finishing it, then re fecal.

laurelsh likes this.
  15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would get a vet involved.

The results are concerning being even higher.

Did you go by corid instructions here on TGS?

Moers kiko boars and laurelsh like this.
  16. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    On the CoRid powder instructions, I did follow TGS instructions. 20% Powdered mixture: 10.5 T. to 1 quart water. Dose: Figured at 30cc per 100lbs.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It should of worked, hmm.

Did you do your own fecal or had it done by someone?

18. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    It was done by UC Davis in CA, a well respected lab. Someone here thought I retested too soon, 7 days after last day of CoRid, would that be a reason why the one doe's count exploded from 7900 before CoRid to 39,000 after CoRid?

19. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    39,000 is a incredibly high load. It shouldn’t have gone up - if anything it would go down or stay the same.

Did you happen to give any vitamin b during treatment?