The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to lose my mind! We have five goats. Four of them are very healthy, shiny coats, pink gums. This all started with my mini Nubian. He got run down from my two Oberhalsi always running him off, not letting him eat or stay with the herd.

He lost weight, which I think pre-disposed him to the lice? His skin is horrible, tons of flaky skin all over his back and a bit down the sides. I've never seen so much dandruff on any animal. Even his ears are bald.

Now he has gained some weight back, he's got a bit of shine to his coat, the hair on his ears is coming back, and I'm brushing the mass of flakes from his fur. But the lice is back!

Here's what I've tried....

I treated all 5 for lice several times with the white powdered stuff, forgot the name (not DE) Didn't work.

I separated the sickly one from the three bullies, and left him a friend who is nice to him.

I treated them all with pour on Ivermectin, orally at 1ml per 30 lbs. A few days later they were fine, not itching at all.

13 days later I gave them all another dose. It's been 12 days since the last treatment. Yesterday, they were rubbing on the fence and biting at their sides again.

I'm almost in tears, I can't get rid of this and I'm worried my little sicky one will get sicker and die. What else can I do?

·
14,760 Posts
So sorry your going through this, I know it's frustrating.

Okay... Ivermectin Pour On - don't give it orally. IMO that is one pour on I wouldn't use orally.

In order to get rid of the lice you need topical treatment or injectable - oral won't work. So.... take that pour on, dose it in a syringe and put little drops on the skin down the back.

If it's warm where you live, something you can do before using the pour on - get some permetherin concentrate, mix it with water and give them a soaking bath in it - kills lice on contact. Then once they are dry you can use the Ivermectin Pour on, or wait a couple of days.

But you have to retreat aggressively. I retreated ours every 7 days for at least 3 weeks when we dealt with lice. I also sprayed the barn with permethrin, and dusted bedding with a permethrin based powder.
We haven't had lice in about 5 years now.

We do deal with mites randomly though, so we treat off and on with the pour on.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm sorry you're going through this, how frustrating! Have you done a thorough clean out of any bedding they sleep on? Id muck out everything and then do what Hoosiershadow recommended with dusting down new bedding and any areas they hang out with permethin.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So sorry your going through this, I know it's frustrating.

Okay... Ivermectin Pour On - don't give it orally. IMO that is one pour on I wouldn't use orally.

In order to get rid of the lice you need topical treatment or injectable - oral won't work. So.... take that pour on, dose it in a syringe and put little drops on the skin down the back.

If it's warm where you live, something you can do before using the pour on - get some permetherin concentrate, mix it with water and give them a soaking bath in it - kills lice on contact. Then once they are dry you can use the Ivermectin Pour on, or wait a couple of days.

But you have to retreat aggressively. I retreated ours every 7 days for at least 3 weeks when we dealt with lice. I also sprayed the barn with permethrin, and dusted bedding with a permethrin based powder.
We haven't had lice in about 5 years now.

We do deal with mites randomly though, so we treat off and on with the pour on.
Thank you for your reply! Did you retreat with the pour on AND the permetherin concentrate every 7 days? Or just the pour on? And I can't believe I never thought about their bedding. I feel like a fool, I knew to do it but it never occurred to me lol Guess that's my next big chore.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sorry you're going through this, how frustrating! Have you done a thorough clean out of any bedding they sleep on? Id muck out everything and then do what Hoosiershadow recommended with dusting down new bedding and any areas they hang out with permethin.
I just replied to Hoosiershadow that I totally forgot to clean out the bedding and dust their sleeping areas. How did I not remember that!? I think between doing that and treating once weekly for 3 weeks I might get rid of it. Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I just replied to Hoosiershadow that I totally forgot to clean out the bedding and dust their sleeping areas. How did I not remember that!? I think between doing that and treating once weekly for 3 weeks I might get rid of it. Thank you for your help!
You're welcome! Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
Cylence works very well for Lice. I literally see them come to the surface of the goats hair shortly after using it. It.s 1 cc per 25# down the top line. safe for pregnant and young kids. repeat in 3 weeks. Also has been mentioned using Vet Rx down the top line

also feed fresh raw garlic..lice hate it : )

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Cylence works very well for Lice. I literally see them come to the surface of the goats hair shortly after using it. It.s 1 cc per 25# down the top line. safe for pregnant and young kids. repeat in 3 weeks. Also has been mentioned using Vet Rx down the top line

also feed fresh raw garlic..lice hate it : )
The garlic.... ehhhh, it helped keep an infestation away, but I've never had it GET RID OF lice. VetRX, yes, works wonderfully.

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
Garlic has been an important tool in the fight against lice here...as a preventive not to treat.

Reactions: Dwarf Dad

·
14,760 Posts
Thank you for your reply! Did you retreat with the pour on AND the permetherin concentrate every 7 days? Or just the pour on? And I can't believe I never thought about their bedding. I feel like a fool, I knew to do it but it never occurred to me lol Guess that's my next big chore.
No, I did it initially to kill the lice that were on them - sorry I should have stated that. If you find 7-10 days later that they are infested again, then you could certainly use more permethrin, but honestly, they shouldn't be too bad if you are treating the bedding.
I used Cylence, but had some skin issues, and just felt it didn't work very well for us - years ago a breeder put Cylence on a couple of doe kids we bought, and it did nothing. I tried. Did nothing. I'm more comfortable with the Ivermectin Pour On because it just seems safer if you overdose a bit, and well, it worked. You'll find that what works for one farm doesn't work for the next. So hopefully you find your solution soon. Make a point to check them every couple of weeks after you finish up the 3 week treatment (if you use the Ivermectin - not sure about Cylence/how often is safe to use).
You want to kill the hatching eggs and any that get away, so be persistent with your treatment so you can eradicate them.

·
Registered
30,588 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’m a fist time goat mom! I just got two 10 week old wethers 6 days ago. I noticed they have been scratching and biting. Today it occurred to me to check their skin. I see tiny little bugs. I bought some powder from tractor supply and put on them, but after reading this I’m guessing I need to bathe them and use the pour on. Is it the one that says for cattle or is there a specific one for goats?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
I'm a fist time goat mom! I just got two 10 week old wethers 6 days ago. I noticed they have been scratching and biting. Today it occurred to me to check their skin. I see tiny little bugs. I bought some powder from tractor supply and put on them, but after reading this I'm guessing I need to bathe them and use the pour on. Is it the one that says for cattle or is there a specific one for goats?
If you start a new thread you might get some more help.

I would get some Cylence or pour on Ivermectin (yes, for cattle) from tractor supply. This is the quickest acting chemical from what I've heard.
I don't like powders, but don't bathe them, not unless you can keep them indoors.

However the powder you used may work, what was it?

I use VetRX for lice. But with young kids it's best to use something very fast acting like a pour on chemical, as it can get out of hand quickly and cause anemia which their systems can't handle as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you! It was python dust. They weigh about 15 lbs. how much Ivermevtin do I put on them? Can I do it in conjunction with the dust?

I would get some Cylence or pour on Ivermectin (yes, for cattle) from tractor supply. This is the quickest acting chemical from what I've heard.
I don't like powders, but don't bathe them, not unless you can keep them indoors.

I use VetRX for lice. But with young kids it's best to use something very fast acting like a pour on chemical, as it can get out of hand quickly and cause anemia which their systems can't handle as well.
you!

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Just wanted to add, with all the good advice here, that supporting the immune system is important, too. It is under attack, not only from the parasites, but also from the poisons being used as treatment. Quality Minerals, Garlic, Vitamin C, Dandelion, all are good liver and immune support.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts