The Goat Spot Forum banner

Cant walk

909 views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  wildegoats0426 
#1 ·
I found my goat yesterday after noon in a for of a tree and she can't walk I just got her to eat some have and I had to force feed her water she can't put and weight on the hind legs but she has some movement but very little in them and I don't know what to do for her

#2 ·
Sounds like an injury of some sort. Is it all her legs or just front or back? Can she feel anything?

#3 ·
She was stuck in a fork of a tree? could be she injured herself trying to get loose or anothet goats bashed her ...if you have Banamine Iwould give her a dose tohelp with any pain or inflammation...an adult reg. aspirin will help if you dont have banamine..
Offer her electrolytes to encourage drinking..keep hay and leaves near her..
give her a good feel..from hip to hoof..see if any thing is swollen or out of place..

#6 ·
as long as its JUST aspirin it should be fine..might be easier to crush it and drench with a bit of water...if she is a large goat she could have two adult. You want her tobe comfortable but no so much so she forgets she is hurt and causes more problems..
Do have a very good feel about for swollen areas or misplacments..if she broke something you might need to get a vet out if you have no experiance in this.
She could also be very sore...if she was any time on her belly...she could struggle with bloat..so keep watch for that..you want her eating hay, hewing a cud, pooping berries...offer electros to encourage drinking...

#8 ·
add a bit of molasses to temp her

any swelling?

#9 ·
If it is spinal injury, it may be (broken) or just swelling with minor injury, making her not able to use her legs. Banamine would be best for that, if that is the case.

It is best to have a vet look at her. Have them come to you. The less you move her the better, until you can pen point where injury is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.