The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
I think it depends on what breed of goats and making sure they have a place to get away from the cattle if need be. I know a farm that pastures their very high quality Nubians with cattle. She says their does are agile enough to outrun the cows if necessary, when some of the younger stock wanted to play, and can go where the cattle can't. Mostly they didn't bother each other though. Now this was in a pasture that was at least several acres so they had plenty of room. Might not work in a smaller area.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Cattle are slow and clumsy goats are agile. goats respect the cows size and keep a respectful distance. if you do not have them crowded in a corral you are fine. If you feed hay on the ground you will have little problems. I feed in a round bail feeder the goats jump in to the feeders and climb on top and eat in relative safety. i make sure that round bail sets on end so it can not roll and trap your goats that are inside the feeder, During kidding i separate the goats for about a month.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have a Yak. when she was about 600 lbs she would run and jump just like a lamb.
WITH THE LAMBS!!! we would see her acting like a lamb in the middle of nearly 100 lambs that were running And bouncing. lambs under her , in front of her and she never ever steped on a lamb she never touched a lamb. How ye don't know

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I use rotational grazing. the grass gets nearly wast high and my sheep are afraid to get in it because they can not see a predator coming . so i have 30 cows with the sheep and goats to make paths and give the sheep a warning system while they eat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts