The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Pygmy goat is 10 weeks today and had an accident Monday night that involved getting his lower lip/jaw skin peeled back. We took him to the vet and he stitched it along with a great dose of antibiotics. He told us to keep him out of the dirt and feed him alfalfa pellets to keep the risk of infection down. We have him in a large dog kennel/run on cement and have rabbit sized alfalfa pellets and mineral along with plenty of water available. The problem is, he isn't eating much. He has some swelling and it seems like its hard/painful to chew. Today I even tried to let him eat a little stemless, clean grass and he really wanted to but had difficulty. He is peeing and pooping regular goat berries so I assume he must have eaten some, but here is my real question: is there anything I can give him to keep him from becoming malnourished until the swelling goes down? I live in a very small town, so I have limited supplies. Forcing anything into his mouth is out of the question as he has stitches all the way around his bottom gums. The vet didn't recommend putting him back on a bottle as he has been weaned from mom for 2ish weeks and didn't want to cause diarrhea. I am a new goat owner and don't want to lose him. His brother is staying in the kennel with him except when he is out grazing and is doing wonderful.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Can you get him some banamine for the pain and swelling? it will also help him want to eat. Some Bcomplex would also be good. Try soaking the alfalfa pellets and see if he likes them more in a mash. You can also try some oatmeal too.

Have electrolytes in his water as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can I make electrolytes from things at home? I am going to call the vet and see about some Banamine. I was a little surprised that he didn't prescribe anything for pain, but was so overwhelmed, I didn't think about it until I got home.

·
Registered
31,481 Posts
Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses or what ever molasses you have or honey
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
in case the vet doesnt know dosage for goats with banamine is 1cc per 100lbs so if he is say 20lbs he should get 2 units of banamine. You shouldnt give banamine more then 3 days in a row as it can cause liver damage. But sometimes goats do need it longer. If you vet will sell you a bottle that would be even better. Banamine is always nice to have on hand

·
Registered
31,481 Posts
If he still has trouble eating...do as Stacy said and make a mush out of alfalfa pellets..then you can use a turkey baster to get it past the lip..might be less painful for him to eat..just go in on the side where its not injured, also green leaves would be fairly easy to eat I would offer them off the limb so he doesnt have to work for them...Best wishes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got Banamine from the vet and it is single dose syringes, but doesn't say how to administer. We picked it up after hours and the instructions say 1 dose (syringe) daily, but not what route. What works best?

·
2,203 Posts
For feed I would make a high energy mash. Not only would I soak the alfalfa pellets in electrolytes, I would also add small amount of ground corn, and calf manna or similar. Handful of beet pulp. Something he can muzzle around without getting scratched. You can always force feed him via spoon. I had to do this with Margarita when she tore her bottom lip apart as well. I know what you're going through all too well.

·
Registered
31,481 Posts
Banamine is 1 cc per 100 # I give it Sub Q

1 - 12 of 12 Posts