The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I realize I haven't weaned a kid off a dam for a while, so I need a refresher. In the past I've always left the kids on till they're done nursing--even if it takes 8-9months for that to happen.
Anyhow, I had 3 wethers, all over 6months of age, and I sold them straight off the dams yesterday.
I had seen them still nursing occasionally, but not that often, and they're 6-8months old, so I figured they'd be okay. After all, I had a instance 2 years ago when one of my does had to be culled immediately, and she had 7week old twins. It was sudden, but they ended up fine.
Anyway, now I have 3 does (the mothers of the wethers) that are a little uncomfortable. Doe 1 is mostly dried up, actually; her udder doesn't feel very full at all, and is very small. Doe 2 is dried up on one side (she started drying up on that side a month ago), but full on the other side. Doe 3 is full.

Remind me what I should do. Should I milk them out? Or let them be?
Would it be possible to start milking them now (I didn't earlier in the year)

Thanks in advance!

Froggy

·
2,203 Posts
If you want to milk them, I suggest doing so to the doe that is full. She's still in good milk then. If you want her to dry up, just milk her every other day for a week, then very three days for a week, and eventually stop. "Wean" HER. Lol

I would also milk out just enough to make the doe that is full on one side soft to the touch. Not empty. Just to relieve the pressure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts