Cargill Right Now Onyx

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by OhCee, Dec 10, 2010.

1. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Okie Dokie, so since we moved from Phoenix, I have switched the goats over from Purina Goat Mineral to Cargill Right Now Onyx. It smells pretty terrible, but my girls are looking GREAT! I have many girls who are black, and they had started turning red in their hind legs due to deficiency, turns out the copper in the minerals they were getting weren't chelated (attached to other elements to aid in absorption). The Onyx mineral is the only one I've found with chelated copper. Now they are all looking great, full tails and black legs.

Anyway, I highly recommend Onyx to anyone with fish tails and red hind leg hair :)

Anyone else use this stuff??

2. Where do you get it Nat?

3. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I would LOVE to try it!

Same question as Tissie :)

4. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
  5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yep.....I have put my guys on it, about a month ago......my local feed store ordered it for me.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sounds great.... thanks for the tip... it will help alot..... :thumb:

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm getting really frustrated to the point of :veryangry:
    I can't get Tractor Supply to order Onyx for me..the local Feed mill is boycotting Cargill for "allowing" TSC to carry their products and I just contacted Cargill to see if they DO KNOW of a dealer in my area that will co-operate :hair:

I do have mine on Sweetlix meat maker..just to try it and see, I switched from the Golden Blend by Hoeggars to Manna Pro because MP is a grey mineral...no added iron due to iron causing malabsortion of copper and my property has PLENTY of iron as does my well water...the Sweetlix is temporary due to its red color and unless I see improvement, I'll go back to the grey mineral. I'm also getting up the nerve to copper bolus... :sigh:

Why is it that when you want something that has done so well with others that you can't get it :whatgoat:

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I know fcnubian uses it

Liz have you tried to get Top Choice by Southern States? its a gray mineral and Southern States is in Gettysburg PA so it might be easy to find a place carrying it?? :shrug:

9. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I asked if it can be ordered and TSC said they arent sure....

I wonder why!

10. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    My goats love Right Now onyx mineral! :) And they look great on it to! Ive been feeding it for little over a year now.

11. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    The Cargill rep and I keep playing phone tag. hopefully we can get ahold of each other soon. I want those minerals!!!!

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'll be checking into that, actually have been trying to find a dealer close by.
    Thanks for letting me know about the Southern States.

Edited to ad :stars: :leap: :clap: I just received an email from Tom at Nutrena with contact info for an EXTREMELY LOCAL dealer...Just spoke to the lady on the phone and my 50# of Onx will be ordered and there in 3 weeks :stars: $27.50 for 50lbs.....MUCH more cost effective than the $10 per 8lbs that I've been paying for the Manna Pro. Yes...I am really excited to see if my black goats lose those red legs.

13. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Wow Liz....that is a great price! I paid like $30 something for my 50lb bag. I have to say Elwood has never been more black in color.....it did take a while for my guys to take to it, but now they love it and I see them at the feeder everyday, I have to top off the feeder every couple of days......I am praying that now that they are eating the Onyx that the skin issues I have been having with Bones and Elwood will get better.

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    After seeing the great results that all who have used them have had with their goats, I'm super excited to see if they work for mine...I do have a concern though...shouldn't the Calcium and Phosphorous ratio be 2:1?
    The label I saw had Calcium at 11.5 and Phosphorous at 10.0....is this ok to use with my boys?

15. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Wow...I didn't think about it......these minerals were recommended to me by way of another forum and was told by many there that they use them for their boys.....I do make sure my boys get their AC and I watch for good pee streams every day. Never in my life have I paid more attention to pooping and peeing....lol!

16. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    We just ordered some Onyx too, I am expecting some good things out of it. Though, I will be keeping a close eye on the boyos too. We tried Bolus-ing this weekend...and it was bonkers. Never have we been so frustrated trying to get something down a critters throat! The sound of *crunchcrunch* has never made me facepalm more!

17. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    I will get before/after pics for you all when it warms up and I can shave everyone :)

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well....I DID IT! I have been extremely apprehensive about Copper Bolusing but after seeing alot of you here that do it and my bud Steph was so very helpful with showing me how she did her goats and was really generous too...now, the bad thing.....Binkey and Penny were the ONLY 2 who DID NOT roll it around and CHEW IT! I know I had them practically down their throats but Chief, Hank, Bootsie, Heidi and Bailey managed to crunch the capsule. Angel knew something was up and refused to even come to me for a cookie and I was not going to chase her down...which, even though she is white, softer than soft coat, how do I know that she is even deficient? Her tail isn't split either. Oh and since I filled the feeder with 8lbs of the Sweetlix 12 days ago...I'm needing to fill it again, guess thats a good thing that they're eating it but bad though because they must have really been deprived with the Manna Pro.

19. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Liz....this time when I bolused my guys, I put the capsules in my hand with their treats which they inhale without chewing anyway and down they went and I did not hear any crunching! Congrats on bolusing!

20. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Does anyone know how this compares to the Sprout brand goat mineral?
    Can anyone give post the ingredient tag?