Caring concern?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by JBennett, Feb 23, 2010.

1. JBennett

JBennett New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    I plan on getting a couple of goats during this summer. I want them to be like pets to me. However, I live 1.5 hours away from our property where we will keep them. I should be able to make a trip once (maybe twice) a week to check on them. I want to provide the proper care and spend as much time with them as possible. I plan on using woven wire fencing and will build a shelter. Is it OK to leave them by themselves for a week?

2. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Maybe you can pay a 4-h student to look in on them daily

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I personally would not be able to do that - so much could go wrong in that 1 week inbetween checks. When I go out of town, I pay someone to come to the ranch once a day, if not twice, to check on everyone. I leave a printed copy of feed routine, pictures of every goat with info if they are preg / have babies / anything else needed.

4. JBennett

JBennett New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Ok thanks. This might not be a realistic opportunity right now then. Since I'm a college student also, I just don't have the resources or money to have someone to check on them.

5. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    No way would I ever have goats or any animal that I didn't live on the same property with. I'm sure you'd hate to have something that was preventable happen because you weren't around.

6. JBennett

JBennett New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    I totally agree. That has been a major concern in my mind since I thought about getting goats. Its just a risk not worth taking.

7. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Is there no one available to help you out that lives on or near the property? Or maybe you culd find a closer place!

8. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Do you have any friends that have goats that you could visit often or board a couple of goats at?

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    goats dont need a huge area. Unfortunately checking on them once a week is just not going to cut it due to their water needs and chances of them getting hurt and you not knowing it till its to late to save them.