Caring for a Kid, newborn to weaning??

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by KW Farms, Feb 28, 2009.

1. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Hey guys, well with our kidding season only days away, I need to stock back up on kid supplies, wormers, vaccines, pellets, etc. I don't want to forget anything and also thought this would be a good thread for newbies. So how do you care for your kids??? What do you give them from day one to 60-90 days?

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    What a good post. I wish it had been up when I got Lovey at 6 hours old, cold and no colostrum in her belly. The only thing I had the fore thought to get was Lactated Ringers from the vet just in case our doe rejected one of her babies. Newborns get dehydrated really quick if they can't feed. I didn't even have BO-SE at that time. I used Vitamin E capsules and a selenium tablet from walmart, crushed and put in her mouth. I think the 3 of those things turned her around as she went from not being able to suck and cold to toasty and sucking within a couple hours. I fought for 3 days before I stumbled on this information and her temp had gotten down to 99 degrees. The only other thing I would add is EVERYONE NEEDS TO LEARN TO TUBE FEED A BABY GOAT.

3. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    I would really like to learn this too. We have our first goat, he's one month old. He's been disbudded and got a first dose of CD&T at that time. I need to know when and how much to give him for boosters. I need to know what all else to give him in way of shots, wormers, etc. I'm very green at this and have no earthly idea.

Looking forward to some answers on this one.

Thanks!
    Jamie

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    For CD&T shots they get 2cc no matter the size or age of the goats. I don't give those shots until 12 weeks and I just found out they should have a booster in 30 days from the first shot. I gave a Tetanus shot when I had the girls disbudded but this was the Tetanus ANTITOXIN shot not the CD&T. Also keep at least 1 bottle of C&D ANTITOXIN on hand for tummy emergencies. This is different from the CD&T TOXOID

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I do believe this was done before -- must not have made it a sticky :shrug:

not to confuse you again crocee but the booster is given 21 -28 days after the first shot :thumb:

ok minute one - cleaned off, use "snott sucker" to remove the birth fluids from nose and mouth

make sure they get at least an ounce or two of colostrum from mom or bottle/syringe (if needed) within the first 12 hours

if kids are weak they get a couple ccs of selenium Vit E gel (sub for BoSe - dont need vet script and is specific for goats)

babies are disbudded at 1-2 weeks of age. I will be starting possibly this year giving the tetanous and the CD antitoxin at this time.

If needed kids will be given treatment for cocci starting at 3 weeks old (this is because of a bad outbreak in 2008)

Kids will be tatooed between 1 and 3 weeks

CD/T toxoid shots will be given at 9 weeks of age (must be at least 3 weeks after the antitoxin to be effective) and booster at 12 weeks. Kids then can leave to go to their new home

Before leaving kids will receive their first worming if needed (check eyelids) and first hoof trim.

I think thats all I do :scratch:

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Thanks Stacey. Maybe by the time the does kid I will have all things remembered. Well there is a copy of the Fiasco Farms thingy in the kidding suitcase. I found a nice one at Goodwill for $2, now I will grab that instead of a plastic bag.

That's another thing.
    Have all your kidding supplies in 1 spot/case to grab as you go out the door. This is not a good time to be hunting things.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    haha I found it!

It was in the Goat Sense 101 (which is the area for "stickies")

It didnt get as much attention as I wish I would have but without further ado here is the thread I mentioned
    viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2328

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Thanks guys! And glad you found that sticky Stacey! :D ...these are good posts....Ok, so this is what I have...

1 day: clear nose, make sure they get colostrum
    3-6 days: oral Probios dose
    1-3 weeks: disbud, depends on rate of horn growth
    3 weeks: cocci treatment (if needed)
    1-5 weeks: tattoo
    5 weeks: BoSe shot
    8-10 weeks: Band bucklings
    8 weeks: CD&T
    12 weeks: CD&T Booster
    12 weeks: 1 ml of Valbazen wormer for every 10 lbs. (usually if needed)

Is there anything in there I should ad? I feel like i'm forgetting something? :shrug: Oh, and do any of you like to put your kids on a certain type of pellet or grain ration or just good quality hay and minerals?

9. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    It says cocci treatment if needed. How do you now if it's needed?

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    If you had a cocci outbreak in the past 3 years I would treat all kids because it stays in the soil. Also if you notice one with cocci then best to treat everyone. If a dam had cocci while pregnant - all goats should get treated, even kids once they are old enough - about 2-3 weeks is when you can start seeing signs of cocci in a kid.

11. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    I don't know if any in his herd had it, he's the first goat on my property. I got him at 1 day old. The herd owner said to watch him for it (she was referring to if he gets diarhhea). But he never did.

Should I get him some feed with the cocci meds in it? Or something to put in his bottle?

12. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Baby goats are born with cocci in the guts, its when they get under stress that the cocci blooms and overloads them. I use Sulmet 12.5% drinking water solution given straight orally for 5 days every 20 days from 4 weeks to 3 months when they are weaned. 1cc/5lbs on day 1 and 1cc/10lbs on days 3,4, and 5. I also give Fortified B Complex at the same time.