The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our dog brought us two bunnies. One is injured so we are certain that it will die soon. The other looks well and is starting to open it's eyes. I need tips on how to care and what to feed them. Can anyone help?

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
*bump*

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please anyone! I need help before tonight.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does goat milk work? I don't have a lot of the ingrediants

·
Registered
401 Posts
We used to raise rabbits and once had a mama that was beautiful but would kill her kits on purpose every time if we left them with her i dont know why. She would have about 10 every time and the more we raised them like that the better we got at keeping them all healthy.

We would get regular whole milk and give them a little in an eye dropper about 6 times a day or whenever they got hungry. Warm it up a tiny bit and try. They won't suck on it like a bottle but if you can get a little in them it will usually get easier. Do they have a little fur yet or are they still bald?

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you could find the nest, you would be better off to put it back in the nest.
We have no way of Knowing where they come from. They could have come from anywhere on our property or our neighbors.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We used to raise rabbits and once had a mama that was beautiful but would kill her kits on purpose every time if we left them with her i dont know why. She would have about 10 every time and the more we raised them like that the better we got at keeping them all healthy.

We would get regular whole milk and give them a little in an eye dropper about 6 times a day or whenever they got hungry. Warm it up a tiny bit and try. They won't suck on it like a bottle but if you can get a little in them it will usually get easier. Do they have a little fur yet or are they still bald?
we have a bottle but they won't except it. What should I do about that? I could use an eyedropper.

·
558 Posts
Rabbits only feed their babies once or twice a day.
I would put it in a nice box with some cotton or soft bedding the rest of the time.
I think the stress of the situation will also be a problem.
Few rabbit babies survive without mom.

I agree, finding the nest would be the best way to save them.
If the dog got into the nest you may be able to find it by looking for the fur and grass clumps that were in it scattered about the area where the dog found them.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rabbits only feed their babies once or twice a day.
I would put it in a nice box with some cotton or soft bedding the rest of the time.
I think the stress of the situation will also be a problem.
Few rabbit babies survive without mom.

I agree, finding the nest would be the best way to save them.
If the dog got into the nest you may be able to find it by looking for the fur and grass clumps that were in it scattered about the area where the dog found them.
WE don't know where the dog found them. It could have been anywhere.

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
My mom kept a rabbit alive for two days (she took it to a bunny rehab center) by putting it in a box on top of a heating pad, and the box had papertowels in it and some grass. She fed it water only with an eyedropper.

Whatever you use, you have to do it very very slowly. Please look at the link I posted if you haven't already.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
How's it going? I have not raised a wild bunny but I have saved many of my own. I give them goat milk with an eye dropper. (I can never get them to suck a bottle.) Just do it a drop at a time. They usually balk at first but it only takes a small amount to keep them going. Soon they get the idea and lick the drop off the dropper. In a few days they start lapping it up and even suck it out of the dropper.
The milk needs to be as fresh as possible. The only one I have lost was when my goats were dry. I used frozen milk and one of them died.
Here is my latest, Jessica, with her orphaned friend. And three from 2 years ago.

Attachments

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh that's great. That's what we are doing now letting them lap it up. They prefer it. We lost the injured one but we expected that the others are living. Our dog kept bringing them so she brought us 3 more. Silly dog.
Some of them are old enough and eating hay and grass so that's exciting. I'll try again this morning. At this point we are feeding them twice a day.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts