caring for goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lesserweevil, Mar 3, 2011.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    :(

I am having quite a bit of trouble! I got back to my parents' place a couple of days ago to find that the goats' feet were in a terrible state :GAAH: and I seriously mean terrible. I've never seen them that bad before, especially Whisper & Harmony's.

Harmony is about 4 months pregnant now and pretty heavy on her feet - and one of her hooves was split almost the entire way up, and both of them had foot rot in the cracks. Their feet were all so overgrown that there was almost an inch I had to trim back, and that was not fun - especially not for them.

I have tried not to be too involved with the goats seeing it is someone else looking after them now, and I trimmed Demi's hooves about 2 months ago - so they weren't bad at all. but I have no idea how long it has been since the others have been done!!

I feel bad about not having noticed sooner, but I also feel bad when I try to intrude as I feel this guy doesn't want my help.

Also, he doesn't seem to take my suggestions when I do give them to him. For example, he doesn't plan to feed the pregnant yearling any grain until 2 weeks before she kids, and even then only a tiny amount. I told him she should be getting grain from at least a month early - Harmony has already (I hope?) been on grain a month which will give her 2 months on grian before she kids.

I am also trying to get him to give Harmony tums - but she hasn't been given any yet and she is due on the 19th! So basically she has had a diet with /no/ calcium at all, as the grain she is on has no calcium in it.

I think before I go I will give her a SC injection of calcium to get her started - she needs something anyway.

Basically, I don't know what to do. I don't know how to encourage him to look after them properly without him getting upset about me intruding :( and I really want them to be looked after properly. He isn't handling the yearlings at all and they are SO skittish! They literally trembled so much that the milk stand was jittering when I did their hooves.

There is a woman my friend knows who might be interested in buying a couple of goats - I hope I can get her to take them as they need a home where they will actually be cared for :tears:

some advice about how to get my point across would be appreciated :(

LW

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh Katie im so sorry :hug:

As to getting your point across, thats not likely to happen if you have tired before and with no good results. I would though point out the health of the animal and state that if they dont get proper care they wont be able to feed their kids and that would be a total loss in any revenue.

Finding them a new home may be the best thing for them. What would you do with Demi though?

3. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I think I am going to see if I can get Demi a new home with people who will look after her better - it's not fair on her staying with people who don't care, and I can't give her the care that she deserves :( I just hope that if I find her a good home, I will be able to still visit her.

LW

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Peace of mind would be really nice. Hope you find her at the very least a good home

5. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms Active Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    Wish I was closer and had better facilities . Trouble here in Ireland, goats are treated like crap. Sheep, cattle, even greyhounds are better respected. Goats have kept more people alive than any other animal, yet - here - well don't get me started.

6. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    if it was me i would give the person a few more suggestions. if the person doesnt do the stuff that needs done i would give them a talking to!!! if you are not going to care for something then why have it at all?!
    but thats me and people say i'm rude about this type of thing. i just dont want any animals to suffer though, ya know. thats what i would do...

7. Ducklady

Ducklady New Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Trying to tell your parents that they're wrong is pretty tricky, my Dad was pretty stubborn and my Mom would get insulted. It doesn't help that I'm a chicken and hate confrontations. But I do agree that in this case you have to speak up because the goats can't and are suffering. If you have to relocate them and live close to NJ I may be able to buy one of them off you (I'd have to check with Hubby, I don't like to surprise him with new animals). I really hope that it doesn't come to that, its very hard to say goodbye to pets.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ducklady - LW lives in Ireland ;)