The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two newly pregnant ND does due in May. This is a first for me and I want to make sure I am doing everything correctly to help my girls stay healthy and deliver healthy babies.
Their hay is a grass/alfalfa mix and they have unlimited access to it. They have unlimited access to minerals too.
In the morning they each get a cup of grain/Timothy pellets mixture (3 parts grain to one part pellets). In the evening they each get another cup of the mix, but in reverse (3 parts Timothy pellets to one part grain). I usually offer pumpkin seeds, either with the feeding or as a hand fed treat during the day.
Do I need to feed them anything else?

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
I have two newly pregnant ND does due in May. This is a first for me and I want to make sure I am doing everything correctly to help my girls stay healthy and deliver healthy babies.
Their hay is a grass/alfalfa mix and they have unlimited access to it. They have unlimited access to minerals too.
In the morning they each get a cup of grain/Timothy pellets mixture (3 parts grain to one part pellets). In the evening they each get another cup of the mix, but in reverse (3 parts Timothy pellets to one part grain). I usually offer pumpkin seeds, either with the feeding or as a hand fed treat during the day.
Do I need to feed them anything else?
If you go to the breeding pen section of the forum there are many great thread on care of pregnant does. They will need alfalfa in their diet though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use a measuring cup, yes, and feed each of them separately on the milk stand. I have no reason for the feeding routine other than I guess I wanted to feed them twice a day and worried about over doing the grain so I made their evening meal mostly grass pellets. Their hay is an alfalfa/grass mix, mostly alfalfa. That is my reason for using timothy pellets instead of alfalfa ones.
All my does are “pleasingly plump”, but not so much as to be unhealthy (according to my vet at least).
One of the two pregnant does doesn’t look to have extra pounds, however. She is 6 and has had at least 3 freshenings before I bought her last spring. I will send pictures tomorrow. The other will be a first freshener and looks less ‘sculpted’ around her middle. She has a heavier winter coat too.
I just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts