Carly's udder

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Di, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    So, I separated Carly from the kids so I could see what her udder really looked like. They were apart for 8 hours (that's all the noise I could stand), she's 2 weeks fresh today and she's a ff. I was really excited! What do you think?

[​IMG]

2. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I like it. I think it could have better rear attachment, and a little better teat placement, maybe a tad more MSL and division. I do like it though- what's her breeding? Are you milking her?

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    She's a Reg. Nigerian Dwarf. I haven't started milking her yet. I'm going to start milking soon.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Di, for a FF Nigi, she really looks good! Her teats will get bigger with each freshening or if you keep her in milk...she definately has good capacity, I too agree that the rear attachment should be a bit higher....she definately should give you at least 2 qts a day..if you choose to milk 2x a day after her kids are weaned.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I think its nice, very round, not as high as I'd like to see in the rear(you don't usually see that very often on Nigerians anyway) she does need a little more division, and her teat placement is a little wide.

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    It looks really nice. Could be a bit wider in the rear, better teat placement, and medial but very nice for a FF. Congrats!

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    All I know is :applaud: OUCH :shocked:

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yeah, I definitely feel so sorry for those does with painfully full udders! I like that Twin Creeks Farm typically do not allow her does to fill up more than 12 hours. That's admirable and proves that her animals are really good milkers if they can fill up in that time. That's our "herd goal" - to have really good milkers that do not take forever to fill up. :)

9. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Can't even imagine what she'd look like after 12 hours! This was 8 hours. Thanks everyone!

10. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Did you get a side profile? How is it in terms of height from the side? She's definitely lacking in rear udder attachment, but she does have awesome capacity for a first freshener and 8 hours! Most are half or less than that. Her udder has a beautiful round shape to it, and is pretty. I agree with what everyone else has said about the MSL and teat placement. Teat placement is one of the hardest things in Nigerians to get right so don't fault her for it. ;) As for the MSL, FF tend not to express it well so I bet she could easily improve the ligament her next freshening. The rear height is the most important thing to me though in udders. That way they hold up for years and years of either nursing kids or milking.