Cart goat training?

Discussion in 'Pack Goat Training' started by Old Post Farm, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Old Post Farm

Old Post Farm Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Middle Of Nowhere
    i just got a goat cart and have no idea how to work the harnesses and every thing. the equipment is a little older and needs to be cleaned. how would i go about cleaning it? i will get pictures of the equipment ant the cart. i would really like to know how to put the equipment on the goat.
    if this thread is in the wrong section i am very sorry.:)
    :goatpull:
    i am going to use Fiona for now because she is so big already, and i don't want to stress fancy since she is pregnant.

2. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Yay for a fellow harness goat enthusiast! How you clean it depends on what your "new used" harness is made of. If it's nylon you can probably just wrap it in a pillowcase, throw it in the washing machine, and add some fabric softener to help de-stiffen it. Hang it out of the sun to drip dry. If it's biothane you can dunk it in a bucket of soapy water, swish it around, and wipe it down with a washcloth as you pull it out. If it's leather then you need to get some saddle soap and conditioner at your local tack/feed store along with some tack cleaning sponges. Depending on stiffness you may also need to take a soft cloth and rub in some Neatsfoot oil.

Check over your harness carefully for any problem areas such as loose stitching, fraying, rodent damage, rivets tearing through, dry rot, etc. Some things are easy to repair yourself but others may require the help of a saddler.

Here is an article I wrote for "Goat Tracks" magazine last year with a diagram of a single hitch harness with parts labeled and explained. Also look at horse harness parts diagrams and watch some YouTube videos. All the rules for harnessing and hitching horses apply to goats and there's a lot of horse information out there. If you know anyone who drives horses, see if you can enlist their help or take a lesson. There's nothing compared to getting hands-on experience. I also wrote an article on training your goat to drive which you may enjoy. Let me know if you want that article after you finish figuring out your harness. Have fun!

Attached Files:

nicolemackenzie likes this.

3. Old Post Farm

Nov 14, 2017
    Middle Of Nowhere
    never mind about the cleaning. just the box was dirty. thank you for the help, the articles really helped

4. goat girls

goat girls Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    I have detailed pictures on harnessing and hitching that I did for a friend, I can post them later if you want but for now..........
    2018-01-15 001 022.JPG

Trollmor likes this.
  5. Old Post Farm

Nov 14, 2017
    Middle Of Nowhere
    please post the other pictures too.
    that is an adorable little BOY?

6. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    So did you get your harness figured out? I encourage you to print out that article and the harness diagram and carry it with you to the barn so you can refer to it when you adjust your harness.

7. goat girls

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    No that is my Saanen doe Hope, she is about 135# The harness is a bit big on her but not to bad. I will try to get those pictures posted tomorrow.

8. Old Post Farm

Nov 14, 2017
    Middle Of Nowhere
    oh that is a great idea! thank you

then SHE is very pretty. thank you

9. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I mention this in the article but I'll also mention it here. Lay your harness out over a sawhorse so you can see how it all works and fits together. You can even draw your cart up and put the shafts through the shaft loops while the harness is hanging on the sawhorse. Attach the shaft wraps and see how they work to keep the cart from being able to tip backwards. Hook your traces to the cart then wrap the holdback straps around the shafts and through the footman loops on each side. Roll the cart forward and backward and see how the traces and britchen work to pull and stop the cart, and see how adjusting them this way or that gives you more or less play front-to-back. A sawhorse is a lot more patient and forgiving than your goat so it's a great place to start figuring out how it all works. Have fun!

goat girls likes this.
  10. goat girls

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    Okay, pictures
    1.Neckcollar, make sure it is low enough that it doesn't push on her throat,but high enough that it doesn't restrict her shoulder movements.
    IMG_20180209_163255.jpg
    2. Saddle, you want this slitely behind her shoulder blades, this harness was made for a average sized wether so the top of the neckcollar isn't uasally this close to the saddle.Slid your trace (long strap that comes of the side of the neckcollar) through the saddle girth.
    IMG_20180209_163428.jpg
    3.rumpstrap, make sure that the rumpstrap is on top of her hips.
    IMG_20180209_163553.jpg
    4. Clip the back strap to the d ring on the saddle.
    IMG_20180209_163609.jpg
    That's it for the harness.

11. goat girls

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    As for the cart.
    1. Shaft loops, slide your shaft through the shaft loop. You want the shaft level and straight not pointing down or it will.put to much weight on the saddle.
    IMG_20180209_163746.jpg
    2. Shaft wraps, wrap your shaft wraps.around the shaft and buckle it,snug but not to tight.
    IMG_20180209_163850.jpg
    3.holdbacks, the holdbacks are your brakes. On your cart there should be a small loop, you wrap the hold back on to the shaft through the loop and buckle it. When you are going down a.hill the holdbacks press into that loop witch presses the rumpstrap strap into there leg thus slowing the cart.
    IMG_20180209_164312.jpg
    4. Traces, traces are what pulls the cart.They hook on to the singletree.
    IMG_20180209_164352.jpg
    5.Reins a.k.a. steering and your brakes, Attach the rein to the side of the halter. Your harness probably came with a halter if not (or even if it did I would use this instead) I would reomend a halter From Sopris Unlimited, a size three should do.
    IMG_20180209_164557.jpg
    6.Rein terrets, rein.terrets.are the metal.loops on the saddle, you slide your reins through those loops and that's what keeps.them.from.fall on the ground.
    IMG_20180209_164606.jpg
    And that is it for the hitching process. Anything I'm missing Damfino?

12. goat girls

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    A few thing to keep in mind.
    They can pull 1 1/2 time their weight on a.level surface.
    Brush her before and after putting the harness on.
    Have several lessons with the harness only
    Take her up to the cart a few times before hitching her to it.
    Be patient, use lots of treats and petting.
    Don't punish, correct gently but firmly at the same the same time.
    Only move to the next step when she is ready.
    Above all.....have fun!
    I hope this helps. Can't wait for pictures!

Kass, Iluvlilly! and Trollmor like this.
  13. goat girls

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    Lastly, a picture from the drivers seat.
    IMG_20180209_164906.jpg

Trollmor likes this.
  14. goat girls

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    Sorry not last had to upload the video to YouTube.

15. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Nice photos! I'm not sure what you're calling the "neck collar", but I think you mean the "breastcollar" and "neck strap". They are two different pieces. The breastcollar goes across the front of the chest and the neck strap is the piece that holds it up. The neck strap should typically rest on the neck just ahead of the withers, but if the harness is too big for the goat as in these photos, the neck strap will sit further back. This is not really a problem except that you may find your breastcollar dipping down in front. Sometimes shortening the neck strap will fix this, but if it doesn't you may have to add a strap that runs diagonally from the top of the neck strap to the front of the breastcollar.

Trollmor likes this.
  16. Pack Goat Girl

Pack Goat Girl Active Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Did you train Fiona? Don't know.if.you interested but I am selling Hope.

17. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    this is old but awesome great info!

Goatzrule likes this.
  18. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Isnt it. I love seeing these impressive goats work. They can be used for so many things

Trollmor likes this.
  19. dairyfairy

dairyfairy Member

Sep 29, 2015
    Can you train a goat just like a horse? I did not know this! Wow!

20. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    YES! Goats can be trained to pull and drive! This is the team my husband and I trained:

And here we are with those same goats at the International Goat Days Festival in Tennessee last year competing in a chariot race:

Lindan and Trollmor like this.