Cart goat training?

Discussion in 'Pack Goat Training' started by Old Post Farm, Feb 4, 2018.

1. dairyfairy

dairyfairy Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OMG!!! I love this!

2. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Really enjoyed seeing your videos. Was enthralled watching the team work and the tag along goat added a sweet touch.

Iluvlilly! likes this.

3. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Thanks! We have had so much fun driving these two, both as a team and as singles. This past summer I taught a goat driving clinic up in Longmont, and a lady brought a mini horse cart, wondering if it might work for a goat and thinking it was probably too big. But no! It was perfect! I hitched my goat Sputnik to it and it pulled like a dream. He's a big, strong boy and was easily able to pull two people in the cart by himself. We jogged him up and down the road, first with me and the older daughter, then me and the younger daughter, and finally me and their mother. I let each of them take a turn handling the reins and whip to get a feel for how to drive a goat that is already trained. It's important to know what something should feel like before you try to train your own animals. That's why I often encourage people, if it's at all possible, to take a few driving lessons with somebody who drives horses. The same principles can be applied directly to harnessing, hitching, and driving goats.

And yes, the little tag-along (Pedro) was a lot of fun. He went to a good home as a packgoat prospect a couple months after that video and is doing well last I heard. We try to take all our baby bucklings for various outings so they are prepared to go on as working goats.

Trollmor and Dwarf Dad like this.
  4. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Eventually I could see these films! :) I think Finn is a little bit more eager than Sputnik?

5. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Well, Finn is more eager to turn for home than Sputnik and has a tendency to pull the reins when he thinks he's headed back. Sputnik seems to enjoy harness work a lot more than Finn and is far calmer and more obedient whether he's going out or coming back. Sputnik won the chariot race by a nose, but not because he his faster than Finn. Finn is definitely the faster goat, but Finn is also the lazier goat!

Trollmor likes this.
  6. elvis&oliver

elvis&oliver Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Pa
  7. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Yesterday I was able to see these films. Wow! :) And I got the impression that the "competition" was rather a nice try to get as even as possible! Very nice to watch, thank you!
    Lazy? I cannot see that! But we know that Sputnik maybe is a little bit autistic, so he listens to his human friend, while Finn is more like a "normal horse"! :)
    I think that is called miljöträning, "environmental training", very good! Thanks for reminding us all! :)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  8. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Yes, when it comes to harness work, Finn IS lazy! He doesn't care for driving and he lets us know it the whole time. Finn is not lazy on the trail or anywhere else, but he sulks as soon as we get out the cart and harness. I say, "Too bad!" Sometimes animals have to do what WE want them to do and not always what they want to do. ;)

9. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    He simply is no harness boy! Who blames him? :inlove:

Iluvlilly! and healthyishappy like this.