The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pony that is about 13 years old. We rescued him at the age of about ten and we were told that he at one point in his life had been cart trained.
I would like to get a cart and harness and work on training him but I would like some good tips on how to do this. I've looked up some things but I would like to know more. All advice is appreciated. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would start with ground driving, and see how he reacts. If he does that well, harness and try that. If all goes well, and it seems he knows what's going on, I'd would introduce a cart and just feel it out from there. :) I drove belgians for a while and just loved it. Good luck!

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Awe...good for you :D we have 8 donkeys now that we rescued...well we rescued the moms and then they had babies...HA now we have 8. My 13 year old daughter has been learning to train the weened Jacks...its fun and rewarding...we got books, and watch videos and read a ton of web sites...Having some one who works with horses come by might be nice...we had a couple of different ladies come and see what my daughters has done and gave helpful tips..best wishes

·
Registered
617 Posts
Usually what you would do is get a harness,alot of companies that sell them will tell you how to measure certain parts on your pony to get a correct fitting harness,and help you choose the type,once you get one you can start with line driving,which means driving with you on the growing behind the horse,to see how he does,if he or she is ok doing this alot of times are ok to hitch to a cart safely,alot of animals that drive are usually good about riding,it would be good to find someone near you to help you if needed,but if you have a good quiet horse you cane arm as you go,it's when you have a less experienced horse that may not be as forgiven to you when youse a mistake,I had help at first and then learned on my own,I found a club with draft horse teams with lots of experienced horse people,good luck let me know if you have any questions,have been driving draft horses about 15 years,have had my own for 12 on and off ,jeff

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
It helps to maybe see if there's some class in your area you can take to learn about driving or have someone who teaches and trains in driving come out a couple times.

There are easy things you can do to get your horse prepared though. You can try ground driving and taking a small crop and rubbing it around their legs (so they get used to the harness).

I just learned how to drive a few years ago and it's really fun. I found two clinics in my area where you get to sit down and learn about driving and then at the end drive a little. It was a great learning experience and taught me soo much. If you can find something like that it's definitely worth looking into. :)

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would start with ground driving, and see how he reacts. If he does that well, harness and try that. If all goes well, and it seems he knows what's going on, I'd would introduce a cart and just feel it out from there. :) I drove belgians for a while and just loved it. Good luck!
Ground driving? can you explain? does it mean putting the harness on and not the cart? Sorry I am such a newbie to training. I can drive but I havn't learned how to train them. sorry about that.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awe...good for you :D we have 8 donkeys now that we rescued...well we rescued the moms and then they had babies...HA now we have 8. My 13 year old daughter has been learning to train the weened Jacks...its fun and rewarding...we got books, and watch videos and read a ton of web sites...Having some one who works with horses come by might be nice...we had a couple of different ladies come and see what my daughters has done and gave helpful tips..best wishes
I know someone who works with horses and I'm sure she'll be willing to work with me. How fun! Do you enjoy having donkeys? The good thing about this pony is that he doesn't scare easily. The bad thing is that he is somewhat stubborn and if he's with a herd he'll take off.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Usually what you would do is get a harness,alot of companies that sell them will tell you how to measure certain parts on your pony to get a correct fitting harness,and help you choose the type,once you get one you can start with line driving,which means driving with you on the growing behind the horse,to see how he does,if he or she is ok doing this alot of times are ok to hitch to a cart safely,alot of animals that drive are usually good about riding,it would be good to find someone near you to help you if needed,but if you have a good quiet horse you cane arm as you go,it's when you have a less experienced horse that may not be as forgiven to you when youse a mistake,I had help at first and then learned on my own,I found a club with draft horse teams with lots of experienced horse people,good luck let me know if you have any questions,have been driving draft horses about 15 years,have had my own for 12 on and off ,jeff
I am looking for a harness.I am also in the process off teaching him to listen to my commands. We do have a friend who trained a draft and she lives about 3 miles from us. I better not make a mistake then. My pony might of had experience the rescue talked to the people who had mistreated him and they said that when they got him he was cart trained. We are hoping that he'll just remember and be an easier pony to teach. I will. I don't have a lot of money for a harness. Do you think it's alright to buy a used one if it's in good shape? I know that new ones can be pretty expensive

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It helps to maybe see if there's some class in your area you can take to learn about driving or have someone who teaches and trains in driving come out a couple times.

There are easy things you can do to get your horse prepared though. You can try ground driving and taking a small crop and rubbing it around their legs (so they get used to the harness).

I just learned how to drive a few years ago and it's really fun. I found two clinics in my area where you get to sit down and learn about driving and then at the end drive a little. It was a great learning experience and taught me so much. If you can find something like that it's definitely worth looking into. :)
I will definitely start getting him ready by lunging and making sure that he will get used to it once it stops raining. Tigi and I have a lot of work cut out for us. I just hope that he'll be willing to learn.;)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Used is fine,sometimes you can find old ones that people just want to get rid off,because they are not used anymore ,and yes ground driving or line driving is all the tack but no cart,u can do this buy getting a bridle and a bit,attach long enough ropes to stand behind him,and drive him this way

·
Registered
617 Posts
Horses are very good this is what they are bred for,once they learn they usually hang on to it,like us riding a bike

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Used is fine,sometimes you can find old ones that people just want to get rid off,because they are not used anymore ,and yes ground driving or line driving is all the tack but no cart,u can do this buy getting a bridle and a bit,attach long enough ropes to stand behind him,and drive him this way
I have a bridle and a bit. I am looking around for a harness. So if anyone has one and you live in OH I would love to know.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Horses are very good this is what they are bred for,once they learn they usually hang on to it,like us riding a bike
I am glad to hear that because it is going to be a challenge.

·
Registered
617 Posts
You live in Ohio?i had a team of horses that came from mount hope,I'm in ny,but look around see what you can find,Ohio has some Amish harness shops,maybe they can help you with used and cheap

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have trained ponies to drive start out be putting the harness on and ground drive do that for a while possibly hook him to a ground drag if not hook him to a buggy and have someone to help you though.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will check. Yes they do have harness shops but I always thought that they only sold new. I will check.

·
Registered
617 Posts
They usually sell new,but horse people sell and buy and and get in and out of horses and sell there tack and harnesses,try Craigslist as well

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
You can also get nylon harnesses off of horse.com for 100 bucks. Nylon isn't my material of choice for actual driving but I think it's a nice small start to driving.. :)

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They usually sell new,but horse people sell and buy and and get in and out of horses and sell there tack and harnesses,try Craigslist as well
I have been trying craigslist. we have found some very good deals but we don't want to have to drive 2 hours if you get what I mean. I want to find something from right around here.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts