Carters first time pulling!

Discussion in 'Pack and Working Goats' started by Paige, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    I'm gonna try and hook Carter up to the sled today! :) He is a nine month old oberhasli/alpine cross and he has never pulled anything before, so we will how it goes! But man he is huge :shocked:! He is definitely ready to start working... :wink: Wish me luck!

2. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Good luck! We need pictures!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good luck to you..... :thumb:

4. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    good luck...can't wait to see the pics

5. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    Well I didnt get to hook him to the sled but I did have him try the single tree! It was his first time and he did awsome! He didnt even spook at it or the cars. I have a feeling that I am gonna have another great cart goat in no time! :) sorry no pics today.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that sounds great..... congrats.... :thumb: :greengrin:

7. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Awesome! :clap: What do you mean "try the single tree"? Pulling a down tree?

Deb Mc

8. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    No No No! He could never pull down a tree! A single tree is a board with two rings on it that he pulls behind him. It is just like a practice tipe of thing so he can get used to something following him. Plus once he is pulling it well, you can add weight to it by tying a tire or something to it. :thumbup:

9. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
  10. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    <lol> I meant a downed tree, silly, a log. :)

Thanks for the explanation. A drag, now I understand. :thumb:

My Geoffrey is having a heck of a time getting used to me following him. :slapfloor: A drag he doesn't mind, as long as I'm leading. Training these boys is a real education in goat culture (body language, etc), ya' know?

Is Carter an Ober, too? If he's about the same size as Galen, you could have a team! That would be so cool! :cool:

Deb Mc

11. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    oh...
    No Carter is an oberhasli alpine cross and he is cream colored but I am still gonna use them as a team even though they wont match. I do have an oberhasli wether that I will try to train so I can have a matched team also, and it will be sooo cool! Ya it takes them a while to start walking ahead of you but they get it in time. What I do is get them to understand the words like whoa and walk and all that, then train them to do it all with me kinda beside him but about three feet away until he is doing well that way and then I start walking behind him. Have fun!