Case-Bac

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by lupinfarm, Jul 12, 2010.

1. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

If Cissy and Mione come back negative for CL they will be getting dosed with Case-Bac. I know its supposed to be only like 80% effective but thats 80% more than 0% and I think that makes it more than worth it for me. I'm not convinced I'll be able to get it from my vet but I will be willing to go to the US. Can you pick it up in stores there? I'll be going into NY if I go to the States.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Most feed stores will carry it - or if not they can order it in.

Now here is the thing - the Case-Bac is alot like the Flu vaccine - it only covers certain "strains". the other thing is is that if you test after giving the Case - Bac there is a chance of it showing positive with the vaccine - as the vaccine is not labeled for goats.

There are a handful of people that do give it to their goats - and when I first got into goats I did the same thing - now I don't as I bring in only tested animals and have a closed farm

3. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

Unfortunately its almost impossible to find tested goats (as in tested for *anything* here). I bought and had Cissy and Mione tested for CAE on my dime and they were both negative. Commercial producers do not test and there are few dairy producers that test. Few. April has been vaccinated with Case-Bac (our new Boer/Nubian doeling) so if both the Pygmy's are free I'd like to vaccinate them since April is vaccinated.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Sure - that makes perfect sense ;-)

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Case-Bac can be ordered through any online vet supply, Jeffers carries it and you can also order it thru the manufacturer... Colorado Serum Co.

6. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

I cannot order vaccines online in Canada. Jeffers no longer ships them to Canada and I highly doubt that the manufacturer will do it either, hence why I may have to go cross-border. I'm not sure my vet will give it to me since its meant for sheep (though April's breeder has some, so there is a chance the vet may).

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Oh..OK, hmm, anyone you knowin NY that can order it and have it delivered to them so that you can pick it up?

8. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

No, I don't know anyone... but I'm sure I can find someone between all the goat and livestock BB's I'm on XD

9. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    Be careful bring vaccines back across the border with you.. In most cases it is illegal and could land you in a huge pile of poo poo.. I would call Customs and ask about bringing that particular vac across before you try.

Tara

10. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

Thanks for the concern hphorses, but in the end the vet said she would give us a vial of it if we wanted but to be aware of the danger of administering it to adult goats. We may hold off for now.

11. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    Ok good to hear... so what are the risks? I am curious.....

Tara

12. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

I have heard this with all vaccines but this one she said that particularly in older goats it can cause complications. Allergic type reactions and even death. I'm not sure why so I'm going to do some research but I trust her judgement on the matter. I guess thats why it pays to have an EPI on hand right?

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With Case Bac, it can cause injection area soreness and if given over the shoulder or hip it can cause temporary lameness, if given to a Cl positive goat it will make the disease show itself and with any injection theres always the risk of anylphylaxis.

I used it in my herd 6 years ago, 1st shot then the 2nd 21 days later...had lameness with 3 does that went away within days, I haven't used it since due to the fact that I felt it un-neccesary to do so.