Caseous Lymphadenitis (CL) Questions

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by DRJ Ranch, Apr 24, 2010.

1. DRJ Ranch

DRJ Ranch New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Anderson, California
    I'm doing some reading and looking at signs of CL and have some questions I did a search and it pulled up a ton of pages and Im reading them.

I have a friend that has a Boer goat that we are thinking of purchasing for a pet for the young kids on the place. I think has a case of dwarfism she 3 months old and only 26 lbs and has a lump behind its front left leg we havent brought it home yet we took it to the vet today to get it tested when the vet opened up the abcess and it was a Beige and looked like a paste. Does any one have a link to the different type of CL fluids or it stages, I heard it has different stages not for sure if this is right.

The goat was also given a CDT shot and the owner thinks it could be related to this since none of the other goats on the place have a problem and this goat was born there.

Ill be doing a search through these forums and google so ill be back time to time to see if any one had any advice or ideas.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Having the vet send the exudate for testing was a smart move, though there are some breeders who give the CD/T vaccine in the area of the armpit of goats due to the fact that the CD/T can cause abcesses.....and some goats develope vaccine lumps and others don't. I have 9 adults and 3 developed abcesses using the same CD/T vac on all. Those that got them, the exudate was a tan in color.

Also, sites for Cl abcesses are around the lymph glands, usually below the ear or around the udder area.

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    At 3 months I wouldn't think it was CL. More than likely it was as Liz suggested.

4. DRJ Ranch

DRJ Ranch New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Anderson, California
    That back up everything I have been reading so far.

Question though can CL be tested through the blood ? Most of what I have been reading has been testing the stuff that comes out of the pockett but this vet drew blood.

This is my second experience with the vet but so far they have always been in a rush. Facility is nice, staff is nice but the vets themselves are always in a rush but they have alot of clients.

5. DRJ Ranch

DRJ Ranch New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Anderson, California
    I'm hoping it is the CDT issue but on the safe side I want to make sure she is okay before letting her go into my heard just for safety reasons for the rest of the goats.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    CL can be tested through the blood - however it is not very accurate till they are about 6 months of age.