Cashmere doelings

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by Di, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    So my little "unihorn" Dharma used to be the blackest black, and now she's blue! I guess it doesn't show up as well in the pic, LOL but with her cashmere coming in and the sun just right...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is her sister Peaches, she's got cashmere too, but you can't see it as well on a light color.

[​IMG]

They are sooo sweet. :love:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I didn't know Cashmere goats had floppy ears. Thats cool

They are beautiful girls.

So cashmere isn't a recognized breed yet? so how do you determine if a goat is purebred or not? or don't you?

3. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Gorgeous Goaties Di!

4. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    They are adorable! :) :stars:

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    AAAWWWW, Di that little Dharma looks just like my dark girls. They are so soft and fuzzy.

Stacey, No it is not a recognized breed YET. they are working on it but it is not (scam) proof yet. They do have a registration starting but like i said it is not a good way just yet in my eyes. The reason is, If I wanted to register one of my girls then all I have to do is send a picture of the goat wit her fleece from two years in (sample), and if it is under the 19.5 Microns, then they will register them.
    You say OK, why not? well I have a beautiful doe that is wonderful. I could take a picture of her and send in another goats fleece in, and say it is hers. Now i would not do that, that is why mine are not in this registration.
    No I know not everyone would do that but to me it is not fool proof yet to spend the extra money. Plus every cashmere goat's fiber will get courser as they get older. I had a 15 year old doe (RIP Liz) that still was producing cashmere and that was SO rare that is why she always took Grand Champion.

YES most have the floppy ears.

6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Thanks all! I just love this breed. They do their job, eat the weeds with little or no intervention. They are tame enough (now) for me to work with them, they had beautiful babies! Not a noisy demanding goat. Pretty nice actually. The ears are "floppy" but not as long as a Nubian, but they have pretty dished faces.

I heard of the registration effort. I was thinking about doing it...I understand why you hesitate but, don't they have to start somewhere? Alot of registry's start with the "best effort" and rely on the "honesty" of the people, don't they? Mini horses have 2 registries, Dog breeds were not completely set when AKC started. They still allow Quarter Horses to have (half, I think) Thourobred blood to be registered. You can "work your way up" to purebred statis in ADGA (right?). Well, I think I just talked myself into it! :type: