Cashmere fiber care

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by rebelshope, Apr 1, 2009.

1. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I am just wonder what do you do with the cashmere after you have brushed all the fiber off the goat? How is it cleaned ? What has to be done before it is ready to spin? THanks

2. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Okay maybe I should change my question. WHere do you send it out to be cleaned? What is that person called? How do you find cleaners of fiber?

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Well, I haven't sent mine out yet. But there are "mini mills" that do the "work". You can have it made into "rovings" (cleaned, dehaired, carded, ready to spin) or have it spun into yarn. They will even add another fiber if you want to have a "blend". I know Lori has one she likes. She'll probably come on soon and tell us.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I send my fiber to Georgia Mountain Fiber. I puty it in a bag, send it to them UPS and they send me back beautiful fiber that is ready to be spun.

Now is this fiber you are wanting to send out at least 1" long? If not then it will more then likely just get matted in the fiber cleaning process. I know a friend said she had fiber she was going to have cleaned and sent back so she could learn how to spin. It came off her pygmy and it was only like 1/2" long if that. They can not but that thou the picking machine and really do any good.

5. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Thanks. I just did not have any idea of what one with the fiber if I get some fiber goats. Trying to figure out how it all works. :)