Cashmere goat question??

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by myfainters, Apr 7, 2010.

1. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Ok... so I'm interested in the breed and am curious as to whether there is a confirmation standard to Cashmeres? Do they all look the same or are they all registerd from their fleece quality and production?

I'm just wondering if they are similar to Myotonics in that everyone "knows" them by their ability to faint... yet there is realyl so much more to the breed and a physical standard that they adhere too.... are Cashmeres the same, they are known for their fleece yet have a breed standard as far as structure goes?

Thanks in advance for the info! :) :scratch:

2. fiberchick04

fiberchick04 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Colorado
    There isn't a registry for them quite yet, however there are I guess "unwritten or unofficial" conformation standards. They are very much built like spanish or kiko goats. They don't really all look alike, I mean their colors vary a lot. But we are getting closer to getting a more consistant cashmere goat. These goats are a dual purpose type goat. They are used for meat and fiber. But the person to talk to is Lori Harfert from Sweet Goats. She could give you a better understanding. I'm not sure how to word it. So the cashmere goat isn't a breed of goat. It is a type of goat. We like mostly solid color goats, face markings and leg markings are ok. As far as the body we like solid colors so that we have a consisitant fleece. Hope this helps some

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep, Sammy said it about right.

Any goat can produce a Cashmere TYPE fiber, but it has to be 1-1/2 inches long at least and have a Micron count below 19.0 (some say 18.5). So if you take your fainter and take some of that nice fluff "winter coat" they have that is cashmere type fiber. Some people say all the time to me "hey I have a cashmere goat also" . No it really is not quite that easy. They have a lot of fiber standards to follow before they can be called a Cashmere goat.

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Yes, the cashmere from a "cashmere goat" is alot longer then just "winter coat" type fluff. Every goat (except Angora) grows winter cashmere, it's not long enough to be "marketable" though. I couldn't catch Princess to comb her for awhile and I had somebody ask me "what was wrong" with that goat...she looked like she was covered with a rug that was peeling off her, LOL.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Di, I totally understand the look. I have a few goats I just can not get the fiber off of them. I sold one that had patches of fiber still.