The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lucy is 4 months now, when I got her in August with the mama and the wether Lucy had a thick coat of black shiny cashmere.The wether has a much fuller longer -mostly white-hair not much changed there. The mamas coat was sparse (white black and grey) and she was just thinner from nursing. In the past few weeks Lucys coat/ sides reveal only a thick undercoat with a gray tone, dull, kind of like fuzzy; the original black glossy hair is still on her legs, head, tail, backbone, tummy and chest. I dont know how to post photos. She is the only one that will let me touch her, I have brushed her and she loves that. If anyone gets pushed out of the trough it will be her. They are all different, but the wether least changed. the mama getting a deeper color and heavier coat. and whats up with Lucy?? I will go take a picture for you~

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,914 Posts
Do you have a good loose goat mineral out for them?

You mentioned that she is getting pushed out of the feed trough. Are you sure she is getting enough to eat?

·
Registered
572 Posts
For the black goat, the dull fuzzy undercoat you see is her cashmere. The shiny black hair you're referring to is her guard hair. A lot of times in the winter the cashmere will overtake the guard hair making it look like they don't have guard hair anymore. This is because there is 3-7 times more cashmere down than guard hair. So I don't think she's losing her black guard hair. Her cashmere is looking like in full coverage. When it sheds this spring and you brush ad harvest it, you'll see her guard hair is still there. Don't brush them until its shedding otherwise you'll severely damage the cashmere fiber.

The white one may have long guard hair which hides the cashmere or she's not a high producing cashmere goat.

But the fuzzy hair is what you WANT the guard essentially is worthless. It's their summer coat.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, i think they are seriously over fed ;) okay. the consensus is in ! its her cashmere "blooming" wow. I want to kiss her.... they dont really go for the goat mineral but its there. They have local hay (weedy alfalfa which checks out for nitrate level) - in the hay feeder; and they get a scoop of sweet feed mixed with champion goat pellet, once or twice a day depending on the weather; and I have a gourmet kitchen for them in their 4 room barn, where I chop apples, pumpkin, plums, zucchini... we just seem to live for the food. forage was the plan but it hasnt materialized quite yet....:eek:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Wow! That's so neat that you do that for them! I would love to have that in my barn.

I've been raising and showing cashmere goats for almost 10 years so if you have any questions or ever want to talk cashmere, I'd love to help you out. You can email me at [email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts