Cashmere Questions

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by PiccoloGoat, Oct 11, 2008.

1. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    I was reading up and cashmere and yeah I have some q's relating to them/
    1. Is a cashmere it's own breed or a type of breed?
    2. Do you have to brush them when they are moulting?
    3. are they just as easy to care for as other goats?

Is all. Thanks

2. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Ok... I found a website that answers different questions on Cashmere goats. It is the Eastern Cashmere Association.
    Here is the Home link: http://www.easterncashmereassociation.org/index.php

And here is the link to the page that answers questions: http://www.easterncashmereassociation.o ... dustry.php
    I have listed a few of them below. Hope this helps!

Q: "Cashmere comes from goats!?”

A: That’s right — the makings of every cashmere sweater starts out on a goat. Cashmere is the goat’s soft, downy undercoat, grown to its maximum length by mid-winter and shed in early Spring. Any goat can grow cashmere, but those we call “cashmere goats” have been selectively bred to produce it in significant amounts.

The quality of the cashmere fleece is determined by three factors: its length, its diameter, and the degree of crimping. The American cashmere industry promotes high standards in regards to raising good healthy animals bearing exceptionally good cashmere fiber.

Q: “But cashmere goats all look so different!”

A: That’s because there is no such thing as a “purebred” cashmere goat. Feral goats from Australia, and Spanish meat goats from the American Southwest, selected for fiber traits, form the basis of the American cashmere goat industry. The goats’ down and the guard hair which surrounds it may be any color, but the shearable parts of the body (excluding face, stockings and belly) should be of a single color.

The guard hair may be long or short depending on individual situations and preferences, but the guard hair should be coarse enough that a mechanical dehairer can easily distinguish it from cashmere. Traditionally, cashmere goats are not de-horned. Both male and female goats have horns, which serve to dissipate heat during the summer, and make excellent handles when working with the animals.

3. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Here is a link to the Australian Cashmere Growers Association. It has ALOT of interesting info: http://acga.org.au/

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep that is some great information.
    Cashmeres only get combed out once a year, and that is when they start to "shed". All I do is take a dog under coat comb and comb them.
    Are they just as easy to care for as other goats? Well I am going to say easier only becasue of course tat is the ones I have. I will tel you that
    1. You never have to bath them. OK you can NOT bath them
    2. You do not have to clip them before a show, all you do is blow them out and make sure they are clean and the feet are trimmed.
    3. I have never had a sick goat in 8 years (knock on wood). The only goat I have ever had to give a antibiotic to is a wether that I had surgely fixed, and my Liz that passes away from cancer.
    4. They have their own winter coats on so they really do not get cold.

They are the only goat that will eat your noxious weeds.