The Goat Spot Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Do I hear a story time calling my name? Yes I do!

So, when we got Casper back in July, she had kidded two-three days before we got her. The people bred her to a HUGE Alpine buck thinking she would have an easy birth.... Casper is the size of a Nigerian, Just with longer legs. Therefore she appears a lot bigger then she actually is. Long story short, she went into labor and two hours of pushing the women did nothing. She didn't go in until after two hours had passed. The kid (it was a buckling) had it's head coming but legs back. It's head was so big that it just couldn't come out on its own, and had already been there for TWO hours of pushing and nothing happening.... She FINALLY went in and got the kid out. Well, the kid made it out alive but didn't last long. So, he unfortunately passed. Casper was left with a broken heart and you could tell she was in pain. We got her because the lady didn't know what to do for her. so, me being me I felt bad for Casper and brought her home. The lady had tried to brake her to the stand but wasn't consistent enough. So I got her home, and milked her with no problem off the stand, all I did is put her on a four foot leash and sit on the grond. She never kicked at all and was awesome! She missed her baby so much that she wouldn't even eat her food. All she wanted to do is lick my hand and make mama noises....... A month later I decided to go ahead and dry her up so she would have months off to just be to herself and enjoy life. Everytime we would bring in a baby goat, she always tried to mother it.... Licking it, talking to it, etc. Even came back into milk to feed one. Which I didn't let her do because I needed her dry. So, now that Sparrow has a baby, she watches it walk around and calls to it...... She misses her baby so bad guys馃ズ. I know she misses hers so, so much. She had such a bad birth that her hips pop sometimes and she has a funky walk in her back legs since her birth. I wonder how she'll act to seeing her new babies in Feb馃.

Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Hopefully this time round things will go definitely. She is bred to our Unregistered Nigerian buck Gizmo. So the baby will not be as big as an Alpine kid.. I'm pretty sure she's only got 1 again, which is fine. I'd like two but whatever she has I just hope it's healthy. Gizmo is the hardest Goat ever and I've only had to worm him once since we got him in April 2020. What helped Casper not be depressed is when I was milking her, is make baby goat noises. She loved it! She always talked to me and would let down ALL her milk. She's an amazing milker and THIS time she is trained to the stand. Either know she is the scardest goat ever I let her out of the pen and she jumps up there with me not even having to touch her. Because of Casper being so scared I will be bottle feeding her baby/babies but this time I'm keeping her in milk till next breeding season, if I can. Her production didn't fall at all last time, I just decided she had a very rough time so I wanted her to be to herself for awhile.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Well, Casper is finally starting to seriously start an udder. In the past two days it has grown some, and her belly is looking quite round.

Pics from a couple days ago. 15 more days to go! I'll shave her udder one week out from her due date and give her a birthing trim.
Terrestrial animal Fawn Working animal Snout Fence

Vertebrate Mammal Working animal Livestock Terrestrial animal

Plant Sky Working animal Tree Wood

Natural material Tail Fish Seafood Fur

Registered
*Gotta love 鈥榚m kids!*
She鈥檚 looking good! I believe I guessed twins as well. Hopefully that鈥檚 not part of the doe code. Where everyone guesses a certain number so she has a different number. Though I guess if that made her have triples that wouldn鈥檛 be too bad鈥.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts