Cassius Lymphadenitis Advice

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by bosticrnfa, Jul 20, 2013.

1. bosticrnfa

bosticrnfa New Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Hello Everyone,
    I'm new to the Goat Spot and new to raising goats as well. My youngest daughter is showing a goat and a lamb for FFA this year and we are learning as we go. The first goat that she and her teacher brought home had a huge CL lesion on its lower chest, only visible if he was laying down. The breeder was very understanding when we chose to return it (She did not divulge upfront that she currently had a breakout). We only had him for 7 days and my question is this, what is the best way to treat the pasture that he was in, it's about an acre? Do I burn it? Chemically treat it? I cannot find any info on this and thought I'd ask here. Cannot thank you enough in advance for your infinite wisdom. Thanks~ Deb.

2. AmyBoogie

AmyBoogie New Member

May 20, 2013
    Maine
    Are you sure it was CL? Did the lump break open? If not then you don't likely need to do anything as it's a self contained little thing there until it opens.

If you want to cleanse it for your piece of mind then burning would probably be the easiest for the pasture and any other surfaces can be bleached.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    agreed..only the puss is infectious...no need to worry if the CL didnt burst

4. bosticrnfa

bosticrnfa New Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Yes, the capsule was 4" in diameter with a quarter sized open wound that was oozing. Our vet diagnosed it immediately but did not culture it since she was very familiar with CL. We opted not to culture it since we knew we would send the goat back and didn't want to incur the extra expense.

5. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    if it already ruptured..then you will need to bleach everything..remove your herd from the area the goat was at...bleach feeders, feed dishes..remove top soil, hay and bleach the ground...walls, poles...every inch ..let air dry and do it again day two..burn any hay the goat was near...so sorry, hopefully cleaning up well will keep it from spreading..

6. audrey

audrey New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Lebanon, Oregon
    I would think that there could be some legal recourse to this. She knowingly sold you a sick animal with a horrible, highly contagious disease, and didn't disclose this information to you. I would ask the breeder to help you out in some way, financially or hire a couple people to help you do what you will have to do to clean up your land. I would def. not use that pasture for a few years even with cleaning it up. If you can, I would do a field burn, I would throw away everything that can be too. No sense in cleaning feeders and buckets and panels. If there is bare wood anywhere, cover it up with another sheet of plywood or replace it or whatever you can do to get as much possibly infected material out of there. I too am so, so sorry that this happened to you!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  7. AmyBoogie

AmyBoogie New Member

May 20, 2013
    Maine
    I'm so sorry that this happened to you.
    I hope you're able to get everything cleaned up and all your other goats remain healthy.

8. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

CL lives in the soil for at least 2 years, some say longer. IDK if burning would kill it. I would probably clean what I could and vaccinate any future goats, at least for the next several years.
    I'm sorry this happened to you. :(
    Just a thought, there may be a period after vaccination during which the immune system is "figuring out" what to do, and the animal should not be exposed until the immune response is strong enough. Not sure how long that would be. You may want to have a pen in a clean place to keep the goat and lamb during that time.

9. bosticrnfa

bosticrnfa New Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Man, you guys are great!!! We only had that goat at the time so no one else has been exposed and the new ones we obtained went straight to the barn into a huge double stall. I just really wanted to put them out in the pasture and build them a climbing play structure. I just wanted to know what measures to take to ensure our new ones would not be exposed. Really heart-broken about the land being contaminated for such a long time. On to plan B, once I figure out what that is LOL! Thank you all so much, have a blessed weekend.

10. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    its great not having any there at this time...Im sorry this happened and now you have to really plan well...but sounds like you are up to it :D best wishes

11. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

It's life. Just when we think we have all our ducks in a row, it throws us a curveball. Ask me how I know. :D I think God lets these things happen for a reason, though we can't always see it. :hug: Blessings!

12. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    This would be the one instance I would fully support the use of the vaccine. Id test the animals first and just have the piece of mind they were clean before I put them in the infected area (after doing all the cleaning I could). As suggested, vaccinate for a few years and then see what happens. Granted, you wont be able to test the vaccinated but if you have long term goat plans, later batches of kids could be tested. Very sorry it happened but sounds like you have a good understanding and will do great.