Castrating a buckling

Discussion in 'Bucks' started by Larkmeadoes, Jun 29, 2020 at 4:18 PM.

1. Larkmeadoes

Larkmeadoes New Member

May 6, 2020
    Colorado
    I've got an 11 week old Nigerian dwarf buckling who is going to be sold as a wether. We were hoping to be able to band him but our friend says that at this age it has to be done surgically. I'm new with goats so i wasn't sure what would be best. Would it be safe to band him or is it to late? What is the best age to band a Nigerian dwarf?

2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    You can still band at 11 weeks as long as he hasn't gotten too big.

GoofyGoat likes this.

3. HungryFox

HungryFox Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2020
    New England
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

No it doesn't. You can band. I banded mine at 12 weeks old. As long as it fits in the bander, you can band.

GoofyGoat and Canadian Goat Mom like this.
  5. I bought a 5 month old Buckling and got him banded at 6 months old. Vet did the banding. Pain meds and antibiotics were given. He did great.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I band at 3 months old.
    I can still get the band on them.

Canadian Goat Mom likes this.
  7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Just make sure everything is below the band (not strangling a testicle) no hairs are caught and no teats caught in the band. A warm day is good, they hang low, away from the body.

After banding, no matter what, you cannot remove that band, not for any reason. You can pull the hairs out, or roll it below a teat, but DONT cut it off. The kid will cry and it isn't fun to watch, but in a few days, he will be ok. Give Banamime if you have it, about an hour before you band. Keep him moving. It numbs the area quicker.

8. Larkmeadoes

Larkmeadoes New Member

May 6, 2020
    Colorado
    Thanks for all the great advice. We went ahead and banded him yesterday. He's doing great and is already back to bouncing around with his siblings!