Castrating an Adult Buck

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by peggy, Jul 31, 2017.

1. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Non Emergency. I have a 6 year old buck that I want to get castrated and keep as a pet. My vet is a goat owner and is comfortable doing the surgery but cautioned me that the risk is high in this age of buck. I am very worried about the procedure. Has others done this and what was the success rate? I have also been doing some research on the Calicrate Bander but still not sure about it. Has anyone used the callicrate bander on adult bucks? Thanks.

capracreek likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

How does your vet do it?

peggy and capracreek like this.

3. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Oh sorry, I didn't say but she would do a surgical removal. Putting him to sleep and then bringing him out of it quickly. I am so worried about that procedure and wondered how he would handle it compared to banding. I know the banding hurts like the dickens too.

4. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

At his age calicrate banding is safer. Surgery has always had a high risk of bleeding to death with goats. If you do surgery, make sure she is going to stitch everything, especially the blood vessels.
    I've had adult bucks calicrate banded, they never acted like anything happened.

In a world of ordinary people a superman is not a king.
    He cannot rule the world.
    He is simply alone...
    Dean Koontz

5. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Good for you for wanting to keep your guy and give him a good home.

What about a Burdizzo castration? 4 "crunches" no blood at all. And with a 6-7 year old, you got plenty of room to work with.

This is not to discount the callicrate banders. Just another idea.

peggy and capracreek like this.
  6. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I have heard some responses from other goat people and funny how you get so many different ideas. I like the idea of no blood so the bander ir burdizzo would be the way to go but someone told me it would be cruel to band at that age,,,,, decisions decisions.

7. mariarose

You don't have a completely pain free option, I'm afraid.

Although I completely trust Goathiker about bucks acting like nothing happened, I've seen banded kids also act like nothing happened, and other banded kids who let me know they could never move again and I was a sadistic ogre. Your buck may be one of the dramatic sorts and you should be prepared for that. Whatever method you choose.

Here is an idea. If you plan on castrating more adults in the future, then get either a quality burdizzo or a calicrate bander (according to what you decide is best) If you don't plan to do this again, find out if one of your friends/neighbors have one or the other that you can borrow, and let that be your decision. Quality tools are not cheap, and they take up space to properly store and maintain them.

peggy likes this.
  8. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I agree with goathiker, I would go with handing over surgery. I also think no matter what there will be some pain involved. I've handed good sized bulls and some have laid around like they would die and some seem to not even notice what is going on. Even if banding was a bit more painful I would take that over the risk of not just bleeding out but the risk of them being knocked out. After I lost a doe I go out of my way to not let my animals be knocked out.
    The burdizzo is also a option, I have never done it on anything bigger then a kid sized calf but the issue with that is it takes awhile to actually see if it worked so you would want to make sure he is not around any girls. We tried this method for while but had enough one testicled calfs that we didn't use this way for very long.
    I don't know how much your vet would be charging you but I can't imagine it would be cheaper then buying either one of these tools, plus you could always knock it in half and resell on Craigslist. But I personally would go with banding. Less chance of loosing the animal and there is the proof laying on the ground that it worked and most likely you wouldn't have to go back and redo it (I have never lost a hand on a animal)

peggy and mariarose like this.
  9. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I thank you guys for all your input. I am thinking that I will buy the Callicrate Bander and use it. It is expensive but I can try to resell it after. Like you guys said there is no pain free method. It is just so hard to put my goats in pain but we all suffer a bit of pain now and then. He will be a much happier fellow after it is all said and done.

10. mariarose

Your last sentence is full of truth. He can stay with you, someone he can trust. All bucks should be so lucky.

There are youtube videos showing how to use the callicrate properly. I find it easy to understand once I see them, but not intuitive beforehand.

peggy likes this.
  11. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Good idea and pay attention on how to put the little rope in. I think that was the hardest part for me. Also someone close by to help will help a lot. It's hard for me to grab and work the band up without having someone to hold the machine thing........although you might be stronger then I am, my uncle can do it like it's nothing and without any help.

peggy likes this.
  12. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Actually if you do resell it let me know and I'll see if my parents want a back up one ;)

peggy likes this.
  13. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Jessica84, which model do you have? There are a couple different models. Are you banding goats or cattle? Have you done an adult buck with one before?

14. mariarose

Goathiker, do you have any input here, as far as a model?

peggy likes this.
  15. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I didn't even realize there were different ones! We have this one, it will do the job on your buck. I've used it on a little 4 month old buck that I finally gave up on selling as a buck. He acted fine, probably better then the others but he was a shot so maybe that played a part. The biggest I have used it on was a yearling bull calf that I was going to keep as a replacement bull but I changed my mind. He was not on the small side at all when I used it on him. The reason why we got this one though was because a friend of my parents told us about it. He buys cattle cheap and puts in his feed lot and resells later. One of the main things he buys is bulls and bands them........steers are worth more money, but he has done bigger boys then that.
    I wouldnt hesitate to use on a adult buck though. I almost did on my 6 year old but I'm just not sure if it will 100% kill his drive for breeding. He is the biggest buck I have so I would still be in the same boat if having to pen him away from girls I don't want bred just then he wouldn't have any girlfriends to keep him busy. He's a jerk and I don't see a wether friend going over well for him if he still had that drive to breed.

Attached Files:

peggy and mariarose like this.
  16. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Thanks for the input Jessica84. So after several phone calls I have found a vet that will come to the farm and band him for me. Price will include travel time, the banding, a local and meds for between 300 to 400 dollars. She said they have a cattle bander but not the callicrate bander. So I am wondering if the cattle bander would work as well as the callicrate bander. I like the idea of having a local so by the time the local wears off his boy parts will be numb so not as much pain as with out it. I am just looking into all my options. But I am certain that I will not use the surgical method. A couple vets I spoke to will not do anything but cut.....

mariarose likes this.
  17. mariarose

Understandable, as that is where the emphasis in their training has been.

peggy likes this.
  18. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

She's probably talking about a California bander, they work well as does the tri-bander.
    When mine were done they put the band on, waited ten days and cut everything below the band off. That way the chunk of dead meat wasn't hanging there.

In a world of ordinary people a superman is not a king.
    He cannot rule the world.
    He is simply alone...
    Dean Koontz

peggy, Suzanne_Tyler and mariarose like this.
  19. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    That works! I don't think it really matters what bander is used, it's all the same general idea so as long as it fits it's good to go. The only reason why we went with the one we did was so it would for sure take care of any size we wanted to band.

peggy likes this.
  20. deerrungoats

deerrungoats New Member

Mar 16, 2018
    Did you end up buying the Callicrate Bander? I am considering it also and then also reselling it afterwards. I only have 3 1 year old bucks that I need to use it on. How did it work for you? Did you have a problem reselling it?

peggy likes this.