The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there is a buck that me and my mom have fallen in love with, but my father has told us no bucks especially this one since he is so smelly. but my dad wants a wether so we were thinking about buying him, using him and then castrating him after we are positive the doe is bred. i know an older buck needs to be castrated surgically but this one is four years old. is that too old? he is so sweet and if someone doesn't buy this buck he will go for meat after October.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
You can still have him castrated at 4 years old, but I think there is a chance that, at his age, he may keep peeing on himself.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That isn't the real problem I don't think. Where he was at The place where our does were housed is when he stunk. There he was only on about a fifteen by seven foot pen with five does. Where he actually live he has probably three to five acres with tons of does. And if we buy him I am going to give him a bath then shave him to start with then go from there. At national shows can bucks be shown for adga,he is registered

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,102 Posts
Bathing, shaving, and a larger area may not reduce the smell. Bucks make themselves as stinky and ripe as possible. It is their male musk to entice the ladies. Example, 4 month old buckling, no doe what-so-ever for miles around. He began to mark himself and wow, it was strong. Am hoping once his hormones calm down from recently being wethered, I want be hit with that strong, eye watering smell first thing in the mornings. :eek:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
to be honest the people who had our does cleaned their pens once a year at the very most so even the does stank, and the buck didn't stink as bad when he first arrived there. i am not saying it is the answer but for now it will probably keep the stink down and my father happy. lol wee haven't even gotten the buck yet

·
8,495 Posts
That is great that you may get him. Some ADGA goat shows do show bucks.
I have 12 mature bucks, various dairy breeds. I guess they might smell, but, I don't notice it. I do clip them and get rid of the long beards and hair where they mark themselves. They are easier to hose off if they get where I can smell them!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i hope i can show the buck he is so pretty he is the sire of a doe that i bought and she won grand champion junior doe at the county 4-h fair, i am realizing that because the buck is so friendly and stands on the stall fence all the time i have never really seen his whole body.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,102 Posts
to be honest the people who had our does cleaned their pens once a year at the very most so even the does stank, and the buck didn't stink as bad when he first arrived there. i am not saying it is the answer but for now it will probably keep the stink down and my father happy. lol wee haven't even gotten the buck yet
More than likely, the smell came from the accumulation of ammonia from the urine and a build up of feces. And yes, buck perfume. Have you personally ever smelled a buck in rut other than him? Bucks require separate housing, a male companion for company, a high strong fence, and a host of accommodations geared specifically towards having a male goat. Also, how do you feel about a sire breeding a daughter? He is a handsome goat, no doubt about it. It is commendable you are willing to ask questions instead of impulsively purchasing him. Research the pros and cons of owing a buck before deciding completely. I did just that, a little while ago and learned a lot about bucks in general. Personally, never owned one, have no need for one as I won't be breeding.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes and the other buck i smelled was WAY worse than him. we are going to wait until my doe kids to see if we want to wether him because if i don't get a doe from him i am going to try using him again the next fall. we are going to keep the buck separate from his daughter, we also might offer a stud service so he isn't always on our farm, if we get a bucking from him in the spring we will wether it and that will be his companion, the purchase is almost defiantly going to happen, because we have talked with the owners and no one has shown any interest in him but us. since we are breeding the other two does to different bucks he will have a companion periodically. and he is actually quite happy by himself, even when he is in rut and does are in heat in the pen right next to him that he could easily jump over. but he will get a companion either way;).
how much is the usual cost for a surgical castration done by a vet?

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,102 Posts
Prices will vary from state to state and vet fees. My Bucklings were surgically castrated a little over a week ago. It was required they had at least the first CD&T vaccine and a clear fecal test before the procedure. $25 for the castration and additional costs for the 2 shots and medical supplies. All total $57 each. I took them to the Vet office. The more a goat weighs, the more costly the shots will be. Mine weighed 25 and 21 pounds and were easily manageable. Also, the Vet may have to do a farm visit if you can't transport him. A farm visit is an extra charge.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
for me the vet visits depend on the day of the week and the time of day for where the visit is. my guess is that the buck weighs about 300-350 lbs. i know that he has had vaccines in the past not exactly sure when the last time was but that shouldn't be too bad. for my vet's office i think fecals are about $20

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so now that this is happening, what do i do to care for a buck/wether. i know ammonium chloride, but is there any thing else that is super important to know? my vet is coming tomorrow morning for other stuff and i will talk to him

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,102 Posts
No, it's okay, ask the group anything you want. No oops needed. I thought you might enjoy reading through that section in the forums.
I like MINI MANIA and KIDDING KORAL. Relevant information is grouped together and researching is more directly to the point. Thought I found gold and didn't even realize there were topics in the forum until I stumbled on it one day. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
FYI, i just castrated my 2 year buck Nigerian dwarf. My big animal vet who is very experienced assured us that surgical castration was the best way to go and there was no risk. He died 4 days later. I am not telling you this to scare you but just know that with an older buck castration comes risks that we wish we had known when we did it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts