castrating and tetanus question

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by Club-Mini, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    hello all !
    i just got some bucks as meat goats. i wanted to keep them with everyone eventually (we need to put some weight on them) and they just got their cd&t's...and will get another booster in 2 weeks or so. do i still have to give them tetanus anti-toxin when i castrate? or is the 2nd booster of cd&t enough??
    thanks!
    nella

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    wait to castrate them till they receive their booster and then you will be good.

3. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    thanks Stacey.....yet AGAIN!

hehehe

appriciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I give my goats their cd/t then wait about a week to band....how old are your boys?

5. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    i would say ..... they are btwn 3-4 months.

how long till i can put them with the girls after banding?

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I think it is a couple days to a week.

Someone correct me if I am wrong :shrug:

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    If those boys are between 3-4 MONTHS!!!!. I would not wait to band them. The older they are the harder it is on them. If you can I would give them Arnica Montana for several days before you bad them and after. I would assume their Testicals are rather large and it is going to be very hard on them. I am not at all saying it can not be done. If they are that age, I would sure hope they already have their CDT's. :shocked: :shocked:

8. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I agree that it will be harder on them and after you band them, I would give them some aspirin. Dosage for that is 89mg per 10 lbs. I usually give it the first day and then they are good to go. I have banded mine after 2 months but they are smaller breed goats and their testicles werent that big. I have a buck that is about 5 months old and I cannot get the average sized band on his testicles....I dont plan on banding him, just letting you know that at that age, a vet might have to do it.