The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I castrated my male goat a few weeks ok at 10 weeks of age. It is my first time at castrating so this this is all new to me but something dosnt look right?

In the picture the rubber band is we’re the crusted bit is.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
A little yellow goop is normal, but this is more than I like to see and the red swelling not good. However, it may clear up with some antibiotic wound spray such as Blu-Kote. If your goat is acting "off" at all, has a fever, or if there is heat or hardness (indicating an abscess) up in the abdomen, a course of antibiotics is in order. I had one that got infected last winter and he had to have penicillin for 5 days or so. But as long as the infection is only on the surface I don't think a vet will do much more than have you apply wound spray. Wonder Dust can be really nice for drying up that goopy stuff too if you can puff it well in there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I followed your advice and took him to the vet.
She give him an anti inflammatory and a coarse of antibiotics and some spray for the wound as well.

He was off his food as well but thankfully he is coming round.

Thank you for all your help and advice

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Glad you got him to a vet! Not eating is a sign of infection and just using topical antibiotic spray would not have been adequate so it's good you got help. Glad he's doing better!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts