The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 boys that are all about 65-70 pounds and 4 months old. They are doing 'buckish' behavior - peeing on themselves, smelling, etc...

We have a local vet who will surgically castrate them for us. However, my concern, we are getting in to the heat of the summer (supposedly) with temps in the high 80's/low 90's and probably 100 in August. It is fly season too!

My question - should we wait to castrate until September when the weather is cooler and there will be fewer flies and less stress on the goats? OR, does it matter - they bounce back quick?

The longer you wait to castrate - do the buckish behaviors stick around. They smell!

Thank you,
Tonia

·
Registered
764 Posts
For the sake of your goats - wait until there are no more flies. You don't want to deal with wound infections, do you?

When you castrate surgically, it can take up to three weeks for the wound to heal.

The buckish behaviour and smell will disappear even if you wait until fall.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Part of going ahead right now is that I'm a teacher and am off for the summer so I could keep an eye on them better (post-surgery).

I have heard to wait until October when it starts to freeze to have the castration done.

The vet didn't offer anything other than the surgical castration (similar to the cow surgery). I read several posts on the burdizzo and am not sure that I want to tackle that on my own without someone showing me how. It sounds like you can have problems if not done correctly.

Tonia

·
Registered
297 Posts
Its hard to believe that the vet wouldnt suggest the burdizzo !

A simple procedure, even if he does it, but then, he'd only get the farm call instead of the surgery.

Find someone to show you how to use the burdizzo, you can practice on wrapped chewing gum to see how it works, the trick is to get each cord securely held when you use it, two times, once on each side gets it done right.

Or ask the vet to do it with the burdizzo, and show you in the process. Thats the simplest solution.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
rtdoyer said:
Part of going ahead right now is that I'm a teacher and am off for the summer so I could keep an eye on them better (post-surgery).

I have heard to wait until October when it starts to freeze to have the castration done.

The vet didn't offer anything other than the surgical castration (similar to the cow surgery). I read several posts on the burdizzo and am not sure that I want to tackle that on my own without someone showing me how. It sounds like you can have problems if not done correctly.

Tonia
Too bad you wern't at the Rendezvous this year. Carolyn had a tool and gave a demonstration on buck kids. You could have got in line.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My first 5 goats were near year old bucks. I called my vet to get them neutered only to hear.... "I don't do goats".

Yikes what now?! I had to learn how to use the burdizzo.

I learned online using the text and photos at FiasCo Farms. No doubt there are great videos on Youtube too. At the time I was on dial up and could not view online videos.

Cheryl in Idaho

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.