The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all!:stars:

I have a couple of questions about wethering my little boys. I have looked around for the answers and get so many.

First, what AGE should this be done? It seems folks say about 8 weeks with ND's. Mine are about 4 weeks old, and they are mounting their sisters, does this mean I should have already castrated? Or are they just "playing" and nothing starts happening till after 8 weeks. I don't want anyone preggers, but at the same time, don't want to do it too early. :confused:

Second, I was planning on banding, for a variety of reasons, but wonder if it is effective with ND's. I mean their scrotum's are so small, it doesn't seem that the band would be "squeezing" much:eek:. With the crushing method, I am afraid that I might not get the job done, and end up with some surprises.

Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
59,243 Posts
They will mount. At that age, they aren't extending. When they are extending and entering the females is when you need to do something. Usually around the 8 week mark with Nigerians is when you see that happening. Bands work just fine on Nigerians.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i'm not sure of your other questions, but I went to the vet and had my buckling cut. he was in pain for a day or so, but got over it the next day. i was reading about the crushing method on Fiasco Farms...they have some good info on that there.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They will mount. At that age, they aren't extending. When they are extending and entering the females is when you need to do something. Usually around the 8 week mark with Nigerians is when you see that happening. Bands work just fine on Nigerians.
Thanks! I don't quite know how to tell when they are "extending and entering" but if I have a couple more weeks that is good! When I my girls where impregnanted, I but the buck in the pen, then the next day, there was stuff everywhere!:D So I figured all was good!

Thanks for your info!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts