Castrating Question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Nupine, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    We have two bucklings born this year. One we are keeping as pack wether and one is going to a great new home. One was born 3/27 and the other 3/30. They are very big and healthy. The flys are getting very pesky, so I would like to castrate them as soon as they are ready. We are using a bander, and I have never castrated before. If I castrated them correctly now, what could go wrong??

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Biggest thing I check for is to make sure I don't get the teats in the band! Easiest way for me is to have my hubby hold them on their rumps and then I pull both testicles thru the band making sure I have 2 cords also, then let the band tighten and try to smooth any "puckers" out before I let them down. After a week, I start applying Gentle Iodine as the skin starts to break, keeps the flies off and helps to ensure no infection sets in. I did 2 boys 3 weeks ago and they are about ready to drop off. I personally make sure they are to date with their CD/T , but others don't and have no problems.

3. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Re: Castrating Question, More Questions

So do you think I could do them now? I am pretty scared. I don't like inflicting pain on anything. These are not worthless little dairy bucks who are going to go to auction and sell for $5. One is going to be MY pack and cart goat, and the other is going to live the good life with our friends. Is it very painful for them? So how do you hold them? I don't quite understand. Here is how I was going to do it: Have my mom stand up and put the bucks neck between her calfs with the head facing back, and then pick up the back legs at the hocks and lift the whole back end up and put the bucks back against her thighs. Then I do the ''operation''. Sound like a plan?! I have seen the way they hold the little lambs by their legs, and it is dumb.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I will say, yes it sis a little painful. The best way to FEEL how it will feel. Take a rubber band and put it around you finger as tight as you can get it. Leave it for a few, and that is what it is like. It goes numb after a little, but still uncomfortable.
    Now what I do is I give my boys Arnica Montana, the 6cc size, and I give them 5 a day dissolved in water. I take a syringe, put the 5 pills in it, and suck up water and shake it really well until it is dissolved and then drench them with it, I do that for 4 days then I band them. My daughter holds them up. She holds them by their chest and butt, so their legs and testicals hang down, that way I can get the bander around them, I do the same thing that Liz does, make sure you do NOT have their teats, and they have no lumps. Then release the band, (that is the hardest part for me, I have to work it off side to side). Make sure both testicals are in the band, and then let them go. They will go to mom, and tell on you. Now when I do this I ALWAYS have a pair of scissors on hand because you never know when you might have to CUT the band and re due it. I have only had to cut the band once, in all the boys I have done.
    I also give the Arnica for two more days after I band them (whe I remember). Since I started using the Arnica, I have NEVER had a boy act like it hurt, then never go lay down and pout. I have had boys stop eating for several days when I do not use the Arnica. It can be bought at any health food store. They come in 6cc and 30cc. The 6cc is best for this.

Irt is hard to band the boys only because we do not what to hurt them.

5. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    That explains it better! Thanks! But, they are 4 weeks old, can I castrate them now?

6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    My vet just told me that the "new" consensus is it's better to wait till they are...6 mos. old! Wow, I thought I was doing well waiting till they were 10 weeks old...I don't know if I want to wait that long. She agrees and we'll do it when she gets back from Brazil, end of May I guess. Darn.

7. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    6 MONTHS!!!!! I would never wait that long!! You would have to seperate them for like 3 months from the does!!!!! Next year we are doing them at 1 week like my 4-H book said. We did the two boys yesterday. The actual operation wasn't bad, but after it was complete torture watching them look half dead on the floor and cry!! I felt terrible. My mom held them and I put the band on. Stewey laid on the ground like a dead goat and blue cried a lot. It wasn't fun, but they feel much better now. Once it starts tearing, will they cry a bunch again?
    Ashlyn

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The 2 boys I banded 4 weeks ago, just left today, they just turned 10 weeks old and the 1 lost his already, the other is barely attached...theres no pain with them falling off as it's already "dead" tissue, now where it sepaarates it will be tender for a bit but nothing to make them cry out, unless they are playing too rough and the "raisen" gets bumped, then yes it will hurt but they continue playing with no after affects.

9. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    WOW!!!!! I can't imagine waiting until they are 6 months old. Mine get done by the time they are a week old!