The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this cat showed up last year as a 4 month old kitten very wild. She started letting us pet a couple months after she showed up but only when she was eating, any movement and she'd run. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, she would let me pet her no food involved and she let me feel her belly no problem. Now she had the kittens this morning up in the loft in a cabinet drawer, its like 100 degrees up there. Mom is panting now just cause shes hot and the kittens are kind of spread out, the drawer is small so they aren't that far from mom. Should I move them to the barn floor in a dog cage where mom can leave as she pleases or I can lock her in?
Problem with the barn floor is mom might get very stressed with all the activity down there.
Never had kittens before so not sure what to do.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I think that locking her in might be very stressful for her, since she's used to coming and going as she pleases. But it does sound like a cooler area would be easier on her and the babies. It's great that she has already learned to trust you, so she won't be too worried when you move them.

Can you move the entire cabinet drawer to the barn floor? You're right to think that too much activity nearby might set her off. Can you find a quieter corner for it?

Also, does she have fresh water available? I would keep it nearby, but obviously not close enough that there's any chance the babies could get into it. They won't be moving around much for the first few days, but once they do, watch out! If it's terribly hot, you could even drop a few ice cubes into the water to help keep it cool. Like a goat, she's going to need to drink plenty to keep up her milk supply.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Kittens must be in at least 95 degree temps while they are small because they cant regulate their body temperatures. We had 2 queens and 9 kittens locked in our tack-room for 8 weeks straight. It was blasted hot in there almost every day, and 5 of the cats were longhaired. I would make sure momma has water and wet food, and make sure she cant take the kittens out of the barn.

She is a bit young, right? First time mothers get a little stressed out. If you have a safer enclosed place where they can all stay then that would be best. Momma wont get too nervous if you lock her in, because she will want to stay with the kittens. If she doesn't trust you, don't touch the babies too much either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts