cat question

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by StaceyRosado, Sep 17, 2010.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    My new cat - unknown age due to a rescue situation, looks with in 2-3 years old is from the streets of NYC but was someones house cat for sure before that since he is real friendly - well he came with a little hair loss on his ears but now its really bad. His ears are almost bald.

I need to get frontline (been broke due to an error in my check book I made) but I dont know if this could just be from fright too.

He is terrified of the goats and chickens (but getting better with the chickens.

I dont see any lice but maybe mites? He is our only cat and he lives in the barn (or under it depending).

2. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Ringworm? I know that can be a cause of hair loss in cats/animals, in general...

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ear mites can cause hairloss.....does he have any type of crusties in his ears?. Mites will make his ears look like they are dirty inside with a grayish "dirt"....VetRx works great too...used it on my "rescue" kitten when he was a bitty 7 weeks old.

4. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Oh yes-if you think they have ear mites, treat them for sure. Mine did and treating helped a lot. If he/she shakes it's head AT ALL you should treat. Ear mites are SO prevalent. Haven't heard they cause hairloss but definitely could. Good luck!

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I only see him like once or twice a day so I dont know if he shakes his head a lot or not. He hides a ton. I only got him on Sunday so not even a week ago

6. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia