The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first pygmys in April, they are about 6 months old now. I am trying to get a collar on at least one of them but I am having difficulties catching them. I tried cornering the one and picking her up but I got a horn in the ear... Then I tried slipping a rope around her head and she kept acting like it was choking her. Both girls eat treats out of my hands if that helps but I still can't really pet them yet either. If anyone has any ideas that would be a big help, thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
No matter what, the goats gonna act like your trying to kill them, lol, even if your not;) what I do is just start walking them around a little bit each day, and gradually increase the force in which your pulling and how far:) as for catching them, haha, sounds like your doing the right thing by bribing them with a little food. It'll just take a little time and patience:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a Pygmy who was petrified of people when i first brought him home at 3 months, he now walks beside me, runs to me every time I enter his pen and he loves his neck scratched. I have only had him here one month. I don't feed grain on a regular basis, but I have good foriage for them. Every time I enter his pen I fed him from my hand over and over just little bits. Eventually I would be able to pet him and put a collar on, they are small enough to just hold around the belly an over power. Then like already mentioned just drag ten around until they catch on, as soon as they let the tension loose lots of treats. Food is the way to their hearts.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Reading the title, I had vision of someone chasing pygmies around with a giant butterfly net. If there's a smaller area you can put them in for a while that helps too. Just go out and read. they will start coming up to see what you are doing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts