The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
None of our cats have ever bothered the chickens. They are avid hunters. They will grab a few wild birds every now and then, but I think the focus more on rodents. We had a really bad mouse problem since this house (our new house) was vacant for 2 years. Brought the cats to the house, and really no more mice.

·
Registered
693 Posts
We never have had a problem with our cats hunting our chicks. Not to say that ALL cats will be this way, but ours never did.

·
14,615 Posts
One of our barn cats had chick nuggets. They didnt have mama hen to protect them so you should probably be fine.

·
Registered
402 Posts
None of our cats have ever bothered the chickens. They are avid hunters. They will grab a few wild birds every now and then, but I think the focus more on rodents.
Same here. I have one cat and he helps control the mouse population around here.
However I always still keep new chicks under a metal mesh screen that is securely covering the brooding area. I can't trust a predatory animal such as a cat 100% at least until the chicks grow older and become fully feathered.
Our fully feathered older chicks and full grown chickens are safe. Our cat has followed us into the pen daily and he leaves them alone as he seems to understand they belong to us.

·
Registered
718 Posts
My own cats are indoor only, but I "inherited" a semi-feral cat with the house. She lives outside but has never bothered my chickens. HOWEVER, I've not had chicks outside... I keep new chicks separate from my larger birds until they're about 16wks old as the hens tend to be pretty nasty with them (I dont have a rooster, so any chicks are new additions, not born into the flock). Though, I should also add... I dont think I've ever seen her kill ANYTHING... so perhaps she's just not much of a hunter. I did have a neighborhood tom cat eyeing the hens one day... but one of my more boistrous hens ran him off pretty quick. :D

·
Registered
635 Posts
Counting the barn cats and the house cats, we have 8. Our free range chickens run the whole place during the day and we've never lost a chick to a cat. I'm not talking about hatchery chicks now, but chicks that are born here and troop around all day with their mothers. It takes ONE time for a cat to make the mistake of getting too close to a mother hen and her babies and that cat will NEVER do it again. You've never seen such fury....

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I don't think it matters. Just make sure either is spayed/neutered ;)
We've had both male and female mousers. The more skiddish ones have lived longer than the more out going ones, though.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Not sure if it makes any difference, but our cat is a neutered male. He is a very good hunter! He even retrieves lost small game that we shot and could not recover. Lol

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
I would suggest either getting a cat that has been around chickens or get a kitten and introduce it right from the start. I have had 2 cats I rehomed that could not help themselves around the bantam chickens and chicks, and because of it, they had to go.

I do have two cats now. One is 12 years old and the other is 1. Neither bother my chickens, but both catch mice,wild birds and chipmunks and such. I don't see mice often at all~

·
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The cats I am looking at are a female and a male, both are fixed. They are about 2 years old and looking for new homes. I thought of getting a kitten so maybe that would be the best option...... I will think about it before I jump into anything. thanks again for the tips.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I would contact any local shelters that you have and ask about feral cats. Most shelters that participate in any sort of feral rescue (including TNR - trap, neuter, release) will place barn cats for free. They just want to make sure they have a safe, dry area to sleep and are provided food and water. And they're ALWAYS fixed prior to adoption. Of course, these cats dont make good pets (usually), though they may eventually warm up to you a bit. Some "barn cats" simply have no indoor manners so are not considered adoptable - but for the most part, they're afraid of humans due to either being abused, or having been born wild.

·
Registered
94 Posts
These are all encouraging posts. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I will be looking at a couple prospects this coming week. Other point..... which is a better mouser, a male or female.
An unfixed male :blue: is the best hunter, IMO.
So far as your prosects go, go for a cat from a country clowder if you can. Out of all of my cats (I have 12), the only ones that hunt (and boy do they) came from visiting ferrals that made my cats prego before I got them fixed. One I call little guy (soon to be fixed 6 months old male) brings me at least a couple a day, and he manages to sneak some into the house too. :(

Flybait and coke won't leave dead animals in your house (you won't have to walk that far to pick them up or worry about them going someplace you can't get to and dying) but due diligence is due with any poisons.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts